• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Horrible open GL performance Vega64 - help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

Specs are in my sig. Windows 10 Home. I was previously overclocked to 1705 GPU and 1002 Mem, power +50% (300W) in afterburner, and getting around 80 fps and smooth gameplay in Doom, 1440p, ultra everything using OGL. I am fairly certain that this was somewhat unstable (see Heaven picktures), however it does not explain the problems at stock settings. Userbenchmark would also crash at the overclocked settings, and at stock would give low scores for GPU, which could simply be because it isn't overclocked. My CPU is currently running with PBO and offset -0.05v, memory is running at 3200mhz 14-14-14 with vsoc 1.1v. All stable per prime 95, 6 hrs on blend with full ram use and 6 hrs on small FFTs.

The other day I fired up Doom and was getting FPS in the 30s, noticed the GPU was drawing < 100W consistently, max frame times in the 100s :eek:. After investigating I found my DX games running just fine, and Doom runs decently on the Vulcan driver but seems poorly optimized (high max frame times, but actually utilizing the GPU). I also ran some benchmark runs using Heaven with DX11 and OGL to demonstrate the difference. I did not install a driver update prior to this problem starting. AMD did release 19.2.2 on the 13th which I have not installed, as I have been fiddling with this for about a week. I will try this as well, however I am not optimistic as the release notes do not mention anything about OGL or Vega64.

Thigs I've tried to fix this (not necessarily in this order):
  • Turning off OC in afterburner
  • removing afterburner
  • restoring UEFI defaults and running at stock CPU and memory
  • removing drivers with DDU and installing latest driver
  • resetting default settings in Doom
  • uninstalling and reinstalling Doom
  • deleting profile in Radeon Settings for Doom

Here are some screenshots to show the problem:
-Doom with OGL
ogldoom.jpg

ogldoom2.jpg

-Afterburner settings when these were taken
ab.png

-Doom with Vulcan: 1440p, everything ultra, power slider to +50% but clock speeds unchanged
vulcandoom.jpg

-Mass Effect Andromeda, power +50%, clock speeds stock, demonstrates full GPU usage on DX11
me.jpg

-Heaven result, OGL, OC (clocks listed at beginning of post). Notice blue textures and blur
gloc.jpg

-Heaven result, DX11, OC. Notice foreground blur, possible artifact? Blurry areas are noted throughout all runs, regardless of OC or stock settings and regardless of DX vs OGL.
dxoc.jpg

-Heaven, OGL, stock
glstock.jpg

-Heaven, DX11, stock
dxstock.jpg

Attachments

• gloc.png
    gloc.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Hmmm I had something similar happen to me. All my other games played fine, but DOOM was having issues. However, it was a bit opposite from what you have. When using Vulkan API I was getting reduced performance than I normally would. OpenGL did just fine for me.

Try switching API to see if things change. Else, I believe my fix was re-install of DOOM. I believe the issue centered around the number of times I installed/uninstalled drivers for my Vega 64. I'm not positive but I believe I've seen an increasing number of issues occur as I fiddle more with which driver I use. I have started to see a positive gain in stability as I stopped using DDU and use the build in AMD driver tools to update to the newest driver.

Thanks for the reply Dolk. Seems to be playing fine on Vulkan. I guess it could be isolated to Doom and the Heaven results are fairly normal. I did try a re-install and it didn't help. Right now I don't have any other games using OGL, but I would like to figure it out at some point.

Do note that Vega is not optimized for OpenGL games. Games like Wolfenstein New Order run like garbage on that card. It is something that has never been addressed by AMD.

Yeah I am actually reaching over 100fps on Vulkan. I do believe part of the problem was that the specific area of the game where I first noticed problems is poorly optimized (thank Bethesda). Maybe I'll try switching back and see. Still shocking to go from 80+ fps to 30 without changing any settings.

Hmmm you should be getting higher FPS IIRC. I'm on a LG 29UM67 and I believe I get a lot higher FPS. However its been a few months since I last played DOOM. I know the 1080p vs 1440p could make a difference, but I wouldn't expect a dramatic change.

At this point I've decided not to worry about it until I need to use OGL again. Not really sure of what else to do but a fresh install of windows.

Back