• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hose materials

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KingB

What is the advantage of silicone hose over vinyl hose? I always read people using the best hose available (silicone). Why is it the best?

Vinyl hose can be found at any hardware store for cheap. I can't seem to find silicone hose locally. Someone convince why I shouldn't just go for the vinyl hose that's easily available.

Look forward to your answers.

warrior is right but also to add to that list vinyl sometimes will crack after time..which is not good at all....also u cant really reuse it once u pull it off a nipple cause it kinda go into that shape and just doesnt fit right ever again.....its worth the price trust me im sure the rest will agree

http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/silicone___vinyl_hose_comparis.shtml
Here's a good article comparing the two. It clearly outlines the good and bad sides of each.

Personally, I use vinyl tubing right now because it is available locally. In the future when I have cash again, I'm going with the silicone tubing for it's flexablility...a stiff tubing can/will cause problems with some waterblock mounts because it resists bending much more than silicone will. I have a server cube case, and don't have much depth in the mobo side like a regular tower case does, so the tubing has caused problems for me, that I have to work around for now.

Have fun!

Thank guys, I picked up some vinyl hose today for $3.00 for about 10 feet. I will play with it for awhile, but it may be that I'll have to order some silicone tubing.

Oh, vinyl might be subject to attack by some chemicals, I wouldn't trust it long in a sub zero or near zero antifreeze coolant situation. Silicone is much more resistant to attack.

regards,

Road Warrior

Vinyl does kink easily. I try to use no vinyl anymore as the only (three times) that I have had leaks it was from the vinyl at the fitting. Check the hose clamps carefully and make sure there is no leaking at all. The silicon on the other hand fits tightly and I have not even had to use a hose clamp since I have changed over. Not one leak has occurred using the silicon. And that is with a 500 gph danner pump.

Back