• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOT all the sudden...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

THunDA

hi...
I have the SLK800 and a Enermax80mm adjustable fan for a few weeks now and in begining I was gettn like 38-40 idle and like 42-44 load which ive been told is slightly high for what I have..oh I use AS3 also..well anyway I was playn some Merc's last night for 2 hours or so and checked temp and it said 48!!! I know its safe but should be alot lower...Ive takin the slk off a few times and noticed a light imprint of the cpu core on the base of the HS ..Someone said that it means its a good fit but could that cause bad performance also...cuz when take it on and off its not gona be in same exact stop ...when I had HS off last time I ran my nail across the imprint and it does feel little ruff but not major nooks and craney's...lol guess thats what id call it..today I just ordered a Mechtronics 80mm 53cfm@39db ...been reading thats a good one without major noise ..so maybe that will help??...dont really wana lap the HS cuz I never did that before..unless its required.And this might be a dumb question but I have two real small chips on core ...now i use shim...would that effect heat?
And when I set Vcore to 1.7 in bios it goes to around 1.77-1.79 with MBM and Asus Probe....I set in bios would it be more efficient to use jumper mode?
sorry long post ...
Thanks

The temperature ofthe room your PC is in will fluctuate because of the lighting, weather, your presence, and any air conditioning/heating you have going. So a 4C difference is no biggy.

If you want to spend the time I recommend lapping the bottom of your heatsink.

hmmm...now ya make me wana lap it..lol ive been reading the sticky on this forum about lapping and I bought some 600 and 1500 sand paper ..I also have a mirror that I can do it on for a flat surface.In in sticky it says to use washing liquid ...does that mean dish washing liquid? so it slides on paper better..and I have some denatured(spelling?) stuff will that be good to clean the hs ...think mines all copper..
THX

Yes it means use liquid dish-washing soap.

The reason is that it will allow the sandpaper to slide smoother, and the sandpaper won't get used up as fast because there's a buffer to keep the crap your sanding off the paper itself.

-Jason

(Of course mix water in with the soap)

ok i installed the new fan and idle temps are better but i ran prime for 10 min's and temps were 46....eek then i noticed with asus probe it said my +12v was 13.3 as soon as i stopped prime it went to 12.9 and back to 42 ...is it ok that +12 was goin that high cuz asus probe was blinking like it was too high?

Back