• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot HTPC - Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Geken

Hi Guys,

This is my first post to the forums and I am a total noob tube to everything involving overclocking. I am pretty familiar with hardware and have built a few pc's in my day, but I am no were close to the expertise demonstrated on this forum.

I've browsed around and searched, but I am not really sure what to do about my problem.

I have an HTPC, that I put together that really is the fastest computer I've ever owned and doubles as my video encoder/gaming machine.

So here's the deal, when I first put the thing together the CPU was idling in the low 40's and reaching 90 degrees under load (encoding video)

Obviously I freaked out, reseated everything reapplyed some new paste on the stock cooler and now I'm idling at around 43 - 47 C and load puts me at around 69 -72 C.

The biggest factor here is that this is an HTPC running an i7 860 in a Thermaltake DH101 Case and an 8800GTS 320. It's also in a relatively enclosed space inside of an entertainment center. The back is open, the sides are pretty close and tight, and there is about 3 inches of headroom above the case and before the next shelf.

My question is simply what can I do that is cost-effective that will keep this thing cooler. And if not, are these acceptable temps for daily use?

Thanks in advance,

Geken

Conumdrum

Close the back off, cut a hole in the back and get a 240+ mm 12VDC fan to pull air out the back of the E-center? Make a pigtail off the PSU so you can remove the HTPC and leave the fan. So the ambient air around the case is cooler.

Your temps are just within okay specs.

Another thought.... It is kinda hidden back there? Any reason you can't just leave the case cover off? The front will still look good.

Last edited:
OP
G

Geken

Thanks for the input Conundrum, does anyone have any other suggestions, perhaps a decent cooler that the case would support, I am not sure what the max height is.

nd4spdbh2

OP
G

Geken

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to update everyone on my decision. I went with the CoolerMaster Gemini II S. I just happened to see it in my local microcenter and it measured a little over 84 mm. It looked pretty nice so I figured I'd give it a try. So here are my results

Stock Cooler
Idle: 48 - 52 C
Load: 72 - 79 C

Gemini II S
Idle 35 - 38 C
Load 60 - 63 C

If anyone is interested in building a blazing fast HTPC that can act as a "PC Console" Gaming system, this cooler definitely is something to bring to the party. I can say I am no longer worried about overheating this thing. Thanks for all of the input.

Conumdrum

Still over the recommended CPU temps. GPU is fine. Why do we have to have tiny cases for uber heatloads? A undervolted AMD would be more than plenty for the needs here.

Physics just says bad mojo.

Your stuff....

OP
G

Geken

This was the biggest and most accomodating HTPC case I could find. I wanted something that would fit in an entertainment unit. The heat load certainly is within spec. I am not overclocking the machine in its current state and it's use is mainly gaming and media capabilities.

I could have gone with a lower end machine IF it I was using it purely as a media center, but it's replacing a gaming rig that has become an office machine.

I understand that if it were a perfect world the temps could be lower, but I need that GPU in there lol. I'm happy with it and it'll get me through the next 4 years until I have the time, energy, and money to accomodate a house with an office for one machine and a living room for the other. For now, it's all the same room.

jason4207

Temps look good to me. A fan in your cabinet would be the best thing you could do if you want better results, but you don't have to.

I also use the GeminII-S in my HTPC, and it's a great cooler for HTPC's. Keeps my E5200 at 3.6GHz happy, and my Antec NSK2480 case with it's dual 120mm fans does a great job of keeping everything cool.

muddocktor

Retired
Since you have this in your entertainment center, you might want to consider trying to mount a relatively quiet ac fan at the back of the section containing the computer. All Electronics has this 120 mm ac fan that you should be able to solder some zip cord to and plug it in while having it mounted in the back side of the entertainment system as an exhaust fan.

Just a thought.

jstutman

Since you have this in your entertainment center, you might want to consider trying to mount a relatively quiet ac fan at the back of the section containing the computer. All Electronics has this 120 mm ac fan that you should be able to solder some zip cord to and plug it in while having it mounted in the back side of the entertainment system as an exhaust fan.

Just a thought.

I agree with this, expecially with it being in a cabinet. Im thinking, recievers have MASSIVE heatsinks, im sure spending a few $$ is worth saving all your electronics.

Brutal-Force

I am also for putting a Fan behind your Entertainment center. If your creative you can even hide it behind some mesh.

Also you may consider Moding your case lid to accomodate a couple Noctuas NF-P12s They are Very quiet at 1300 RPMs and can be toned down with included resistors to 900 and 300 RPMs. Two of these in the top of your case would evacuate all the hot air build up, I think even one would suffice. A little Mesh and it will look good.