• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hotter than I like...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Modz,

Would you mind telling me a little more about your Swiftech MCR320-QP? That rad looks like it might be about what I need. I'm thinking I need either a 120x3 or a 140x3. Since all I'm looking at cooling (at this time) is a single I5 2500K, it looks like the 400 watt cooling capability of the MCR320-QP would more than cover that. And it is almost half the cost of a 140x3 rad, like the Aqua Computer AirPlex Revolution.

I already have two new Zalman ZM-F3 120mm fans. I figure I can get more. I bought them about a year ago because they were rated pretty well for a balance of quiet/output. So they should be close to some of the newer units. They included a resistor that can be used to run them in silent mode. Or you can run them at full voltage. Silent = 900 RPM. Full Power = 1800 RPM. Silent = 20 db. Full power = 34 db. I don't see anything on the box that gives a CFM rating. And they have sleeve bearings instead of ball bearings. That often means quiet, but probably not as long a life.

My idea was to start off with just three fans and see how my temps look. Then if it is needed, I figured I could add three more fans for a full push-pull setup.

There seems to be a debate about push vs pull. Some favor one over the other. I figured to do some experimenting to see which gives me the best results. How do you configure yours?

Finally, the choice for getting power to the fans seems to be either a high dollar fan controller, or several of those Molex to 3 pin converters. How do you do it with your system?

BO

On my 2600K, and a EK Supreme LT, I was getting 67°C@5GHz/1.49vCore under prime95 Blend (with a 21°C ambient).

Same loop on the PhII in my sig (1.55vCore) gives me a max of 45°C under Prime95 Blend, 22/23°C ambient.

Edit: you won't get much of a difference (2/3°C) with a push/pull config (low fpi rad).

BachOn, a MCR320-QP will easily handle a cpu only loop with any 1155 socketed SB unless you are trying to go for a dangerously high overclock that is running vcore higher than Intel's max vcore as given in their white papers, which IIRC is around 1.45-1.475v.

My MCR220-QP easily handles the cpu only loop in my 2500K system at 4.7 and 1.332v vcore. This computer runs the Rosetta distributed computing project on the BOINC software, which keeps a 100% load on the processor and this system runs 24/7/365. Real Temp has been running on that machine for the last 87 hours and the highest temp is has seen on the hottest core is 57 C, which is damn cool for an Intel. That system is listed in my sig with the Biostar board, if you want to see more specifics of the loop.

Those Zalman ZM-F3 fans are some damn good fans, BTW. Especially for the price. They just seem to be hard to find at times.

To wrap it up, the MCR320-QP can easily handle your loop and keep your 2500K nice and cool. I used to have one myself, until I got a good deal on an XSPC RX360, which replaced it.

Shazaam! 1.49 sounds like a pretty high voltage to me. I've never even taken my 2500K beyond 1.3. And 67 degrees also sounds pretty high too. But 5Ghz is one heck of an overclock. Of course that is running wide-open. I generally start to worry if my CPU gets to 65. I've occasionally seen 67 at higher overclocks. But the temps in my water reservoir start to climb. That's why I've decided my older radiator just isn't up to the job.

Tell me a little more about your current cooling setup on the 2600K, if you don't mind.

BO

muddoc,

Thanks for the input. That 57 degrees sounds reasonable to me for such high CPU stressing. My understanding is that a voltage of 1.332 is a little high, but not dangerously so if temps aren't climbing too high. I haven't mentioned this before, but my CPU is actually an Engineering Sample. I bought it from a guy out of Taiwan on eBay. He claimed it would run at 4.8 Ghz. That may just be hype to get more than the standard cost - which he did. I knew i was taking a chance.

I have gotten this CPU to run at 4.6 Ghz with core voltage at 1.255, but I usually get a BSOD in just a few minutes, especially if I run Prime. And the temps started to steadily climb.

I actually have a third of those Zalman F-3s in an old case. I'll remove it and use it with the other two still in the box to cool my radiator. My hope was that I could run them at around 900 RPMs on that MCR320-QP rad. Since the rad is a little oversized for the amount of heat I believe my CPU will produce maybe the lower fan speed will adequately cool my chip while keeping the sound lower.

I'll repeat my question to you. How do you get power to your fans? Mine all have a 3 pin plug suitable for the 3 pin socket on a motherboard. My Asus board doesn't have that many extra sockets. What approach do you use to get power to yours?

BO

Shazaam! 1.49 sounds like a pretty high voltage to me. I've never even taken my 2500K beyond 1.3. And 67 degrees also sounds pretty high too. But 5Ghz is one heck of an overclock. Of course that is running wide-open. I generally start to worry if my CPU gets to 65. I've occasionally seen 67 at higher overclocks. But the temps in my water reservoir start to climb. That's why I've decided my older radiator just isn't up to the job.

I think the point at which you could reasonably start to worry is at about 75C. Then you can actually worry when you get to 80. Once you hit 85 you're pushing it. I once saw 73C on one core of my 3930k after stress testing all night had heated my office up to 27C ambient, but I consider those good temps at 4.9GHz/1.4V.

For powering the fans on my rad, I have them running off a couple of mobo 3 pin headers on that system. Since you have 3 fans you will be running on the radiator, you might want to use a regular molex connector with a splitter such as this one right here. Just don't plug that into a mobo header, but rather plug it into a molex to 3 pin power cable instead. You won't be able to monitor fan speed, but that's no biggie anyways. And you can always go with a fan controller to control the fan speeds later down the road if you want. BTW, that splitter calbe gives you 4 connectors instead of 3, but you don't have to use all 4.

Well I do not have my new setup yet, but can talk about my last setup. I had the Swiftech MCR320 Drive Rev 3. What that is a MCR320-QP With a res on top and an MCP35x mounted to the bottom. It then ran to my Apogee HD and went straight back to the rad. At that point my i7 2600k idle temps were around 32c and at load 67. It is OC'd to 4.9GHz. Then I added my old GPU to the loop, a XFX 8800gts 320mb along with a swiftech stealth GPU waterblock which raised the idle temps to 38c. On the single MCR320-QP I had it in a push pull configuration(because I had extra fans laying around) and mounted it to the back side of my case.

I was going to add another rad to that setup because I have the room and why not? Lol but sold it and have more or less the same setup coming but it's not an all in one unit like the Drive Rev3. On the drive I had 3 medium speed Yates cooling it and it was right up against the case sucking hot air which was not a good idea. Oh well lol.

Now to answer your last question, my server case came with 2 power distribution boards for 3pin fans(up to 6 on each board) and is powered by a single 4 pin molex. I do want a fan controller, just have yet to find one I like. They all have blue lights:( I want red.

If you want to see pictures of my mcr320 drive setup look in my thread titled "I need a rad and pump NOW?!?!"

Last edited:
I do want a fan controller, just have yet to find one I like. They all have blue lights:( I want red.

If that's what you're worried about, check this out:

attachment.php

It's a Lamptro FC5. It can handle 30W per channel and you can select the display color.

Tell me a little more about your current cooling setup on the 2600K, if you don't mind.

BO

Yep, and running Rosetta 24/7 (when not gaming/photoshoping), 58/60°C.

The loop (CPU only) was exactly the one I use now on the AMD rig (see sig):

EK Waterblock Supreme - LT (€35)
MCR 320-QP with integrated reservoir (€40)
EK Pump DCP-4.0 (€45)
3xSlipStream 1600RPM MEH... (€20)
Tubing/fittings... (€20)

Modz,

Well, at least at this point the Swiftech MCR320-QP with 3 Zalman F-3s is in the lead. I got the Indigo Xtreme system today. It'll go on this weekend - AND I WILL OPEN UP MY WATER BLOCK AND LOOK FOR ANY GUNK AND GIVE IT A GOOD CLEANING. Several folks have STRONGLY recommend that. ;-) I'll go ahead and do it while I'm making the TIM conversion. I'm not counting on the IX to make a huge difference, but it should eliminate the thermal interface as being a major contributor to my hot box. I've had that tube of Arctic Silver for quite some time. And it is possible I used maybe a bit too much. We'll see what happens.

Right now I'm considering what to do about some sort of fan bus controller. I like that Lampro external unit. Remember, my fans, radiator, pump and reservoir will go in an external box beneath the computer. I like to keep the interior of my computer lean and pristine. I may need to rebuild my box to accomodate a larger radiator. Still cogitating about the best approach.

And I am at least CHECKING on the cost of a different water pump. My crusty trusty Eheim 1250 may need to go into honorable retirement in the not too distant future. But all the bill collectors with malevolent fixations on my a$$ have this unreasonable expectation that they will each get their various pounds of flesh on a monthly basis.

Thanks to all for the feedback and input; and thanks for a couple of good laughs too. I do very much appreciate the we spirit here.

Bach On

OK, Big C. I'm gonna circumsize that sucker right now. I had to change out a DVD burner first.

BTW, I now have my CPU clocked at 4502 Ghz. At idle, I'm gettings temps of 34-38 degrees in all four cores. I set the voltage temporarily on Auto. It is fluctuating between 0.9957 v and 1.34 volts. I tried Prime and the temps went over 62 and started climbing. So this CPU will do the dance. I've just got to give it better cooling. I'm convinced it will do 4.8 if I hold a gun to it.

OK. "Cleaning it up here, Boss."

BO

Well, folks. It's one of those good news bad news stories.

First, the good news is that I removed the water block and dissected it. I'm proud to report it was clean. But I cleaned it anyway using a spare clean toothbrush and some alcohol. Didn't have anything like carbon tet. Then I reassembled it. BTW, there is not nearly as much restriction inside that thing as some had advised me. It's mostly an open chamber with a bunch of tiny dimples and designs in the copper base.

Second, I began the installation on that Indigo Xtreme. I did NOT remove the motherboard. But I did follow all other instructions.

I had the motherboard flat as instructed for the initialization process. And I got my water block back on without shifting the 'pad' around. I was really proud.

Cut off my water cooling stuff as advised in the directions.

Plugged everything back in and pressed the magic button. Buzz! Whir! Blue lights! Yessss!!!

That's when the bad news happened.

The thing acted like it was springing to life. But there was no beeping. And there is no video signal going to the monitor. It ran like that for maybe five minutes, then powered itself down. I figured the CPU safety kicked in. Unplugged! Replugged. Off! On! Back Off. Back On! Each time the fans and lights do their thing. No beeping. I don't hear the drives running. And the monitor says no signal.

Ruh Row!!!

Now I used a paper towel to clean around CPU socket. It is conceivable some towel litter got in there and is blocking some key pins under that CPU from making good contact.

But I'll deal with it tomorrow. I'm tired and a little ******ed. So I'm going to sleep and reapproach it with a smile and a fresh cup of coffee tomorrow. OK. At least a cup of coffee.

So, how did your day go? ;-)

G'night.

POd BO.

My day starts (10AM here) :D

Good night and... good luck tomorrow!

EDIT: make sure you don't (didn't?) bend any pin: these sockets are tricky. If yes, no worries, be gentle with a needle and you should be ok.

Back