• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hottest CPU Temperatures Ever

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Emmett_Brown

Registered
In your experience, which CPU is the hottest under load?

Include overclocking results.

I'm tempted to purchase a super-hot CPU to experiment with (yet another) cooling contraption of mine.

Early results on the i9-9900KS and KF chips look promising.

Thanks in advance.

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
This is a set up isn't it?

Do you want the actual high temp of the CPU, or the amount of heat it's actually putting out under load?

Example:
I could show you a single core Prescott @ 80c
or, I could show you an 8 core FX @ 65c

Which one in your opinion is hotter?

Last edited:

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
FX-9370 Bulldozer (32 nm), 4.4 GHz, 4.7 GHz, 220 W
FX-9590 Bulldozer (32 nm), 4.7 GHz, 5.0 GHz, 220 W

I think you are looking for one of these along with one of the few motherboards that can run them.

bmwbaxter

FX 9590 or Thread Ripper 3990x.

220W and 280W

Those would be my suggestions for high heat CPUs.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
This is a set up isn't it?

Do you want the actual high temp of the CPU, or the amount of heat it's actually putting out under load?

Example:
I could show you a single core Prescott @ 80c
or, I could show you an 8 core FX @ 65c

Which one in your opinion is hotter?
Yellow flame on a lighter, or yellow flames in a bonfire, which is hotter (and which has more heat)? :p

3990x (280W?) would be my CPU of choice. That or perhaps the W3175X (255W, but uses it like a pig when overclocked)...

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
It's not a matter of CPU wattage but concentrated heat per mm2. If the cooler's base has a larger surface equally cooled (like a cold plate or however anyone is calling it) then it's much easier to cool larger dies but not necessarily small dies. In the end, it's harder to keep cool something like 9900K than something like 3900X/3950X which has a similar (real) wattage under load. It's a matter of what do you really want to test.
In the same way, many coolers designed for 250-300W CPUs can't handle 9900K which in theory is 95W TDP chip, in reality is ~220-230W chip (at stock).

If you want to check concentrated heat exchange then get something from high Intel series with small die like 9900K or soon 10900K (no matter what leaks say, it's about the same). If you want to check the total thermal capacity of the cooler then get something like 32+ cores from AMD or 18 cores from Intel.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read this.

Everyone who has posted above you will know why.
Nobody is missing this point. We all know it's a(the) problem with getting the heat efficiently out of these CPUs.

Last edited:

freeagent

That's not how the Doc Brown I know speaks to people. I see your ego got the better of you on that decision :thup:

Anyways..

Ive had some hot CPUs, none of them current. I had a Q6600 that did 4ghz no sweat with low voltage, I got it from a member here who won it.. anyways, that was an inferno to try and control. My 3770K is no slouch either, It had no problem hitting 100c with a mighty air cooling setup. My X5690 is a beast in the heat dept. as well.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
you want to try something hot, try my fx9590 on my water cooled crosshair v formula z.
that puppy, baking data in blender puts out plenty of heat for testing cooling parts.
I've actually quit using it for that because it's about as fast as A fat pig with three legs missing and makes enough heat to roast that pig at the same time!!!!

freeagent

Lol I hear you man. That's about how I feel about this thing. Although since rolling back to an older bios I have had much improved memory compatibility. I think I might just build a cheap Ryzen rig for now. Its going to be stronger than this old x58 for a relatively lowish cost. I'm pretty sure it would smoke this thing in just about everything, if not everything.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read this.

Everyone who has posted above you will know why.

Maybe I used wrong words but my point is still correct and it was confirmed by leading cooler manufacturers like Noctua and some others.

I'm glad I keep screen shots of disappearing posts.

I'm only wondering for what you can use them as everything that I have on my mind is pretty low.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread as it's a waste of time.

Zerileous

I don't know if I should touch this. Probably not, but I'll make an attempt to do so diplomatically to clear up any confusion. There was a thread recently that had a formula in it, the thread was locked, the formula contained die size and wattage.

I believe that Doc expected posters to either not understand the relationship, or find it to be a new idea. To those reading the thread, it seemed more like someone had come in saying, "I have a formula to calculate the wavelength of light in the sky," and most people's response was "why?." Nobody felt the need to say, "the sky is blue," and so it was interpreted that people replying to the thread did not know that the sky was, in fact, blue. Now someone responded to a different thread by stating, "the sky is blue," and he doesn't know whether to laugh or cry. And yes I know that saying "the sky is blue," is not technically correct, but it's an analogy so please bear with.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I don't know if I should touch this. Probably not, but I'll make an attempt to do so diplomatically to clear up any confusion. There was a thread recently that had a formula in it, the thread was locked, the formula contained die size and wattage.

I believe that Doc expected posters to either not understand the relationship, or find it to be a new idea. To those reading the thread, it seemed more like someone had come in saying, "I have a formula to calculate the wavelength of light in the sky," and most people's response was "why?." Nobody felt the need to say, "the sky is blue," and so it was interpreted that people replying to the thread did not know that the sky was, in fact, blue. Now someone responded to a different thread by stating, "the sky is blue," and he doesn't know whether to laugh or cry. And yes I know that saying "the sky is blue," is not technically correct, but it's an analogy so please bear with.

I've seen the thread you are talking about. I simply didn't want to reply there as it was already looking bad and this thread is related but somehow a bit different and includes more specific question.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I'm glad I keep screen shots of disappearing posts.
What that is going to help with... I have no idea. But I don't like thinly veiled threats either.

This thread has run its course and then some. The OP's question was asked and answered at this point.

Another thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.