• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hourglass blinks in xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chief

Setting up a Gateway/xp home/xp office for someone and every 2 - 3 minutes the cursor blinks to the hourglass.So I am watching the processes in task manager and find that when hourglass flashes the cpu usage for msmsgs.exe spikes.I have uninstalled ms explore and disabled messanger in services but under system info/running task I still see msmsgs.exe running.Why is this causing the cursor to do this and what am I missing here?Btw I am new to xp.

minoukat

msmsgs.exe is MSN Messenger, not the Messenger service, MSN Messenger is used for chatting with ppl and that kindda stuff. In XP it loads automatically at every start up, so just when it's open, go to Tools, Options, Preferences tab, and uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts". It'll load automatically when you start Outlook Express, so there too, go into Tools, Options or whatever the sign is, and work your way through there to find the check box that says "log on to MSN Messenger automatically" or some other text like that