• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how about VIA CPU´s?,(bad?).

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LeonX

Registered
I just wanted to know more about VIA CPU, i think they are pretty bad , arent they?.
I mean, just work CPU¨s, Word,Paint,IE, msn...

Just to know!:comp:

They're on par with the Atom i think, netbook type stuff.
Think 2-2.8ghz P4. Not exactly modern, but if you aren't gaming they're just fine.

Depends on which series you're talking about. The C7 is crap... it can't even keep up with higher-end PIIIs. I wouldn't recommend one of those things even for the most basic tasks nowadays.

The Nano, on the other hand, is actually pretty decent. It's significantly faster than the Atom in most tasks, and in some cases it even trades blows with the Core2-based Celeron 420. That is to say, it should have no trouble as a basic machine, and it could even handle some more advanced tasks.

The bad part is the price... that's where the Nano solutions usually fall flat. I don't know how it is in Uruguay, but in the US, the Atom boards are generally a significantly better value for the money and are 'good enough' for basic internet machines.

Don't get a C7, they are very old.

Nano's are good, but hard to find.

Also, VIA has been packing hardware encryption engines into their CPUs for a while now. VIA chips stomp Core 2 Quads at encryption speeds.

I use my netbook to death with its like N280 (iirc) atom. All normal netbook tasks plus some older games like sc and d2, all runs great. At work I hook it up to a big monitor and actually do some multitasking, file sharing multiple ffox tabs, thunderbird emai, ect. Handles it all just fine. Plus the win7 aero UI.

So keep in mind when comparing something to an Atom, they are actually rather effective little chips. I get some slowdown when multitasking like that, they arent really designed to run 10+ apps simultaneously, but still it handles it very well! And older games also run without a hitch!

I use my netbook to death with its like N280 (iirc) atom. All normal netbook tasks plus some older games like sc and d2, all runs great. At work I hook it up to a big monitor and actually do some multitasking, file sharing multiple ffox tabs, thunderbird emai, ect. Handles it all just fine. Plus the win7 aero UI.

So keep in mind when comparing something to an Atom, they are actually rather effective little chips. I get some slowdown when multitasking like that, they arent really designed to run 10+ apps simultaneously, but still it handles it very well! And older games also run without a hitch!

i see, well they arent that bad, maybe some day i will build up a Via for my mom

hey malakai, what´s the anime name?.. the avatar i mean :p

i see, well they arent that bad, maybe some day i will build up a Via for my mom

hey malakai, what´s the anime name?.. the avatar i mean :p

well if you read his post he talked about the Atom cpu from intel. If you go with VIA get the Nano cpu... recalling back to when Nano first came out. one reviewer called it a more efficient P4, in power used and TDP.

Back