• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How and I doing overclocking P4PE and P4 2.4B C1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
How am I doing overclocking P4PE and P4 2.4B C1?

See sig for parts, still using stock cooling.

I have slowly raised the FSB to 4x150=600mhz, and I have set the Memory Frequency to 400 mhz. No adjustments made to voltages, all on auto.

2.4B cpu is now running at 2.70 (running 4 hours at this setting)

Running Seti or playing Serious Sam the CPU checks out at 48C, so no heat problems.

System appears stable.

Any suggestions for what to do next? (I don't understand mem timings, so I could use some productive suggestions. )

Last edited:
Lowering all your memory timings as low as they can go will increase performance but they may not handle the increased FSB in which case you will need to raise them to gain stability.

Edit: Just run it at cas2 and everything else as low as possible, I believe its something like 2-2-2-2-5

I have almost identical equipment as you. i did put in a thermalright ax478 for cooling and my load temps are 47C on 160FSB overclock. however my memmory timings had to go to 2,3,3,6 for the memmory to be stable.

Update: Now memory settings changed from 2-3-3-8 to 2-2-2-5

Yield is a max memory bandwidth of 3200
Ram Int buffered bandwidth 3038 MB/s 95% effeciency
Ram Float buffered Bandwidth 2863 MB/s 89% effeciency

If this remains stable, what do I try next? Higher FSB?

Update: Raised FSB from 150 to 158
CPU now at 2.84 Ghz
Mem Buss at 2x211=422
Mem bandwidth:
Ram Int Buffered 3201 MB/s
Ram float Buffered 3016 MB/s

Do I just slowly keep raising the FSB until she crashes? Or is there something else that I should do at this stage in order to cross the 3 GHZ mark?

Last edited:
Just keep raising the FSB by 5 Mhz until it crashes, becomes unstable, wont boot, etc. (If it wont boot reset the CMOS) When it does lower it a little and raise the vcore then keep going. Just be sure to stay below 1.7vcore actual. Also watch your temps to make sure they are not getting too high.

Edit: Also try relaxing your RAM timings when the computer gets unstable and see if that makes it stable. If it does add more voltage to your ram and keep going.

Update: System stable at 3.01 Ghz, mem timings 2-2-2-5,

Increased to 3.06 and hit a wall. System freezes and won't reboot. CPU Fails power on self test. So pressed the reset button on the case.

MOBO reset the mem timings to 2-3-3-5 and we are off and running again. I'm retesting at 3.01 Ghz, with the vcore at default.

I knew that there had to be a wall around here somewhere.........

Back