• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are you all reaching 185 fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
I've been looking around lately and noticing people with xp 1600+ cpus have been running their fsb at insanely high speeds of 166-190Mhz. Within the next week, I will be getting an xp 1600+ agoia y cpu and am wondering what motherboards people are using to achieve this high a fsb and how high it is safe to go on my 8kha+

SpoonMaN

your gonna need 1 of the many KT333 boards out there man
and most of us have unlocked the cpu also
and some PC3200 ram
(i love my kingmax ram no matter what PCstats sez about it)

OP
Krusty

Krusty

OnDborder said:
Most of the 333 boards have the 1/5 dividers allowing you to kick the fsb above 166 while the pci/agp bus stays a default speeds..
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92613

Cool, huh???

This brings up an age old question then. Does the 8kha+ have a 1/5 pci divisor? I have never heard an official response about this. Is there a 1/5 divisor and how do I get it?

OnDborder

Before my 8k3a+, I had a 8k7a+, which didn't have the 1/5's.
I don' t know about the 8kha's..
You might want to put in a "search" on this board for the answer, I'm sure it has been brought up a few times..

Tipycol

I don't think any KT333 has a 6th divider, not even the KT400's out right now have one. I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure if the KT400's don't have one yet, none of the KT333's would have one.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
The 8KHA+ DOES NOT have that acclaimed dividor.

Ed tested it himself with a PCI clock generator tester.

However the 8KHA+ still has an ability to boot and run stable at insane speeds, people have run 200FSB plus with them (which led to the PCI dividor question). Its just an awesome piece of engineering, simple.

M_N

OP
Krusty

Krusty

Maximus Nickus said:
The 8KHA+ DOES NOT have that acclaimed dividor.

Ed tested it himself with a PCI clock generator tester.

However the 8KHA+ still has an ability to boot and run stable at insane speeds, people have run 200FSB plus with them (which led to the PCI dividor question). Its just an awesome piece of engineering, simple.

M_N

cool, cool. Finally a 100% official answer. I bought the 8kha+ a while back because people were able to reach insane fsb speeds with it, but never heard an official answer as to what pci divisors it has.

I just hope I'll be able get decent speeds with all my stuff sitting in my computer. I've got a vid card(geforce3) 2x256 megs ram(corsair pc2400), sb live, tv tuner, firewire card, and ethernet card sitting in there right now. I'm sure something is bound to crap out once I start pumping the juice outta this baby.

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
Krusty that is some decent stuff in your rig. When the 8kha+ came out about a yr ago most if not all of those parts were top off the line. You should reach imo around 175 - 185 fsb. You may have to relax the mem timings but it will still be a good OC.

tripwire

I can't seem to find the 1/5 divider in my 8k3a bios, does it not have this feature? if the plus has it, I assumed the 8k3a should. Could someone let me know.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
The 8kha+ has a bit of extra Magic somewhere :D, and that is all there is to it.

Nothing else can sufficiently explain to me why an older, slower chipset (KT266a) is still VERY competitive when compared to newer ones like the KT333 and KT400s; in fact an overclocked pc based on 8KHA+ will be faster than a KT333 chipset board at the same clockspeed due to the lack of a 1/5 divider- and they seem to hit the same (or BETTER!) fsb speeds.

I have run at 2Ghz with my XP1600 (unlocked) using an 11x multi and 184mhz of fsb- since I only have a 1/4 divider that gives me a pci speed of 46mhz. (normal operation is slightly less- I'm still ramping up;))

The 8KHA+ has great OC features as well, and is easy to do a vcore volt mod and a vmem volt mod....I have also found them to be very reliable in addition to screaming fast!

As far as HOW to achieve those speeds.....slowly, lest you corrupt your os installation:D

Quick list of my rig:
Enermax 431w psu (adj 5v line mod)
vcore mod-2.1v max
vmem mod- 3.5v max
mosfet mod- more stable 5v line

XP1600 agoia y 0213
pc2100 ddr (generic, micron chips) 1 stick

A couple of tricks I have found: don't use the middle ram slot- it seems to drop the max FSB by 5 or 6 mhz. 1 Stick usually does better anyway, so if you can afford the loss in ram, use just one.

I always remove the northbridge heatsink and lap it, then use plastic nuts and bolts to re-attach with thermal compound([email protected] is better there for me.) I think that may help the FSB a bit

This IS a 5v hungry board- if your readings are low, but good at a molex, find the thread that describes the mosfet mod, and a few other tricks that may help.

Thats all the tricks I can think of off the top of my head:D

Last edited:

Tipycol

Hey rogerdugans, do you still think the 8KHA+ would be a better board to get than the 8K3A+ if I don't plan to overclock at all? I am looking for a replacement for an ABIT KG7-RAID, and was thinking about the 8K3A+, but now I'm not sure, since my dad isn't planning to overclock.

Thanks

Tipycol

Tipycol

RangerJoe said:
i have a locked chip..and i can run 192 fsb....2016 mhz...lol
i love agoia y's

Aww...lucky you. And at 42C with air @2V. Why don't you unlock it just to see if you can get to the 200fsb mark? Then you'd utilize all of your corsair 3200 :)

Tipycol

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Tipycol:

There are a lot of things to look at when buying parts- #1 being intended use and #2 being cost.

The 8kha+'s major bonus is in its OC ability, and the fact that it can often be purchased as a refurb, CHEAP is nice too- but if overclocking is NOT in the cards, there may be better choices.

At default settings I believe 333 boards get better benches (slightly) than 266a's do, so it may make more sense to get the 8k3a+....or possibly even something else for less money, or with a feature set that is more relevant to his intended use.

Or talk him into taking your pc, and you get The 8kha+ :D

OnDborder

tripwire said:
I can't seem to find the 1/5 divider in my 8k3a bios, does it not have this feature? if the plus has it, I assumed the 8k3a should. Could someone let me know.

Check out my post above and the link..

pltguy

Registered
Krusty said:
I've been looking around lately and noticing people with xp 1600+ cpus have been running their fsb at insanely high speeds of 166-190Mhz. Within the next week, I will be getting an xp 1600+ agoia y cpu and am wondering what motherboards people are using to achieve this high a fsb and how high it is safe to go on my 8kha+

Using a EPoX 8k3a+ with a locked XP 1600+ and some Corsair pc-3200c2 , running at 10.5x185

OP
Krusty

Krusty

Tismedt said:
Krusty that is some decent stuff in your rig. When the 8kha+ came out about a yr ago most if not all of those parts were top off the line. You should reach imo around 175 - 185 fsb. You may have to relax the mem timings but it will still be a good OC.

Yup, all top of the line stuff at the time. I had a different motherboard when I built the rig last September though. I origionally bought an Asus A7m266, but the motherboard somehow managed to die either from my upgraded northbridge heatsink I epoxied on or the 150fsb I was running it at (that particular board was not known to go much over 145 or so).

I also had different memory origionally, but managed to return the crappy memory for a full refund. The pc2100 I bought at a computer fair wouldn't go over 128 fsb. Took me for friggin ever to figure out that it was the memory keeping me from running at stock speed too.

Hmm...I think I still have an extra pci slot sitting around. Anyone know how much a RAID card is?