• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How big are the differences between a Celeron and PIII?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

I was thinking about getting a Celeron 766 (66MHzx11.5) and putting it into my PIII system. I was just wondering if the differences are that great between the two that it might not be worth it. Of course I am hoping that it might actually run at 11.5x112, but I know that is very unlikely. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Tipycol

batboy

Senior Moment
Yeah, I'd say 11.5X112 is nearly impossible. Even 100 FSB is probably asking too much. If I remember right, a P-III 800 benchmarks about the same as a Celeron 1000 (assuming the same FSB), mainly due to the difference in cache.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
also the L2 cache is different.... coppermine P-iii's has 256KB of L2 and the PIII-S have 512KB of [email protected] and the celerons have 128kb of L2 i think all the cellys have that much not sure tho :)

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
DDR-PIII said:
also the L2 cache is different.... coppermine P-iii's has 256KB of L2 and the PIII-S have 512KB of [email protected] and the celerons have 128kb of L2 i think all the cellys have that much not sure tho :)

Coppermine Celerons have 128kb L2 cache, Tualatin Celerons have 256k L2 cache.

But if you're underclocking that PIII to 560, even the non-overclocked Celeron should do about the same. So it might be worth a shot to buy one, you might see a bit of a speed increase.

jmsandrsn

doer

If u want your upgrade to be worthy you may want max Mhz without 4-divider... then you should go for Tualatin celeron 1.4Ghz (100fsb) http://www.powerleap.com or some other or mod. It may be easier to find Tualatin than old celeron.

OP
T

Tipycol

K thanks for the help guys. I was just wondering how it would perform since they were selling on eBay for like $40. I don't know whether or not to get it still. Guess it'll depend on when the nForce 2 or KT400A boards come out.

Thanks

Tipycol

batboy

Senior Moment
If you're looking for an easy tight budget upgrade, why not shop around for a cheap used Celeron 900 (all of which are the good cD0 stepping). Then run it at 112 FSB for 1008 MHz. Celeron 600 can be had for $20 to $25 and will generally do 900 MHz. However, if your mobo is a slot 1 and you want real performance, find a 1.2 Tualatin and slotket, then do the Tualatin mod like Jmsandrsn posted.

OP
T

Tipycol

batboy said:
If you're looking for an easy tight budget upgrade, why not shop around for a cheap used Celeron 900 (all of which are the good cD0 stepping). Then run it at 112 FSB for 1008 MHz. Celeron 600 can be had for $20 to $25 and will generally do 900 MHz. However, if your mobo is a slot 1 and you want real performance, find a 1.2 Tualatin and slotket, then do the Tualatin mod like Jmsandrsn posted.

Yea I am looking for a cheap upgrade but wanted to know how they'd compare. I do have slot-1 but I don't think I'm gonna spend the money on the powerleap adaptor. I was just looking for the highest multiplier that a PIII board can get, which was that celeron.

Tipycol