• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How big of difference between volcano 11+ and SP-97 /w smartfan 2 at full blast

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper2004

Well right now i have a volcano 11+ hs/f and i am getting about anywhere from 41-45 idle and im not even at my stock settings on my cpu yet because i havent gotten my memory yet. Im at 133 x 12 right now and 1.475 vcore. These temps are just totally pathetic. I am thinking of taking the fan off of my volcano 11+ and buying a SP-97 heatsink. Do you think i will notice a great difference? Rig is in my sig, except i am using 128 mb pc2100 generic ram atm till i get the ram in my sig.

well i think there wont be a big diff if the fan is full blast on both of them but at low rpm's ull see the sp97 do way better (the sp97 will still out do the VC11 its just up to u if u wana spend the money.

you might do ie 5C drop and i dought any more at full rpms (this is if ur lucky)

are u using AS5?

The Volcano 11+ has a C/W rating of .36
The SP-97 has a C/W rating of .23

The relative rankings in this table indicate the difference, in degrees Centigrade, among the CPU cooling options tested. For example, at 100 watts, the difference between Swiftech's MCX462 and the Millennium Glaciator is three degrees C; at 50 watts, 1 ½ C, and so on. Closely ranked heatsinks may, in fact, show little or no difference, or even reverse positions, when compared in a specific system and especially at heat loadings of 50 watts or less.

So at 100W of heat output, you should get a 13°C drop between the Volcano and the SP-97. At 50W (apprx. an unoc'ed AMD) it will be apprx. 6 to 7°C drop between the two.

Note that the C/W rating can be lowered depending on the fan that you have... my slk-948 has a C/W rating around .21 ( they don't have my HS on there, but putting it in a calc. gives an apprx. )

When I put the Delta HHE LINK on the HS, my C/W dropped to .15 . So to summarize, you can get another loud and obnoxious fan and get a 13°C (or more) drop ( use a Tornado or something)
or you could pick a slower(quieter) fan and get the same temps that the Volcano 11 gives you.

my rig with the volcano 11 idled 44, now with the sp-97 it idles at 36. And that's with AS3, gonna put ceramique on today, and update.

Last edited:
Hmm, alright thanks. I am gonna get the sp-97, use the smartfan 2 from my volcano 11. Then im gonna rebuild my entire system and cut out the 2 front cheesegrater grills (i cut out the backs already). Then im gonna do the best i can with the wiring.

Back