• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how big resolution do analog tv's have?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt. Max

my friend has a computer wit a tv-out ge2 and audigy hooked up to his tv and sound system to watch dvd's and also is his wifes computer. i was wondering , he has a 38 inch sony tv(normal kind) and i was wondeirng if he should get a better vid card so mab better image quality on the screen or something?

max

nealric

I think its 800*600- If you are using s-video it may be better. In practice, I have found that s-vid is the only way to go with tv hook ups. (unless you have a really nice tv that has vga)

FunkDaMonkMan

no, it would not increase the quality of video for... the desktop and normal apps, but you would notice a performance increase in games.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
The TV itself only draws 352 x 240. The TV-Out chip on your video card may be able to resample 800 x 600 @60hz (some chips can do 1024 x 768 @60hz) but it's still not going to be very sharp. You won't be able to read text any smaller than 12px.

ucfswimmer

different standards for relaying video infomartion..ntsc is american, pal is european...i know that much but not sure exactly what the technical differences are.

~jeff~

Mpegger

Standard NTSC signal is 352x240. Hi resolution TV screens can go higher in the vertical pixel count, but the effective horizontal pixel count is still only 240 because of the NTSC standard and interlacing. So the high end (non HDTV) TV screens that claim 520 lines of resolution, are in fact only 520 vertical x 240 horizontal.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
james.miller said:
i think ntsc only goes up to 800x600, but pal will do 1024x768

It all depends on the resampling abilities of your TV-Out chip.
But there's really no point in using resolutions any higher than 800 x 600 because the image will simply get fuzzier and fuzzier as it's resampled further.

The TV-Out chip is essentially resizing and converting every Analog RGB signal into NTSC (or PAL) 352 x 240.

Scan convertors do a much better job of this because they have more sofisticated hardware.

james.miller

i disagree. when playing games on my32inch widscreen (moddest by american standards i know) 1024x768 looks amazing - though windows isnt really usable at any resolution.

btw are you sure those figures are correct, slug?
i thought
pal runs @ 625 lines & 50 herts
ntsc runs @ 525 lines @ 60 herts.

pal = higer resolution = better picture (certainly does on my t.v)

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
james.miller said:
i disagree. when playing games on my32inch widscreen (moddest by american standards i know) 1024x768 looks amazing - though windows isnt really usable at any resolution.

btw are you sure those figures are correct, slug?
i thought
pal runs @ 625 lines & 50 herts
ntsc runs @ 525 lines @ 60 herts.

pal = higer resolution = better picture (certainly does on my t.v)
I'll get back to you on that when my head isn't trying to explode.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
I'm drawing my pixel ratings based on information from manufacturers or LCD and CRT NTSC screens. I can't remember much of anything right now because this is my peak allergy season and it's being particularly brutal to me this year.