• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I actually get rid of the page file?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

I've been trying to have it 100% disabled for a while now but it seems like it never works? I have it set to 0 - 0, disabled, everything... but still, anywhere I look, stuff like this shows up:

Total Pagefile Memory 927 MB
Free Pagefile Memory 837 MB

That's from 3DMark2003... it's also visible in SiSoftSandra.

CrashOveride

you have tried setting it to no paging file right?

in WinXp pro (what os do you use? u didnt say) you can go to control panle- system- advanced- preformace- advanced- change in the virual memory thingy- and setit to no paging file...

any one knwo what happens if you run out of RAM an dyou have paging disabled?

Rocko[DPC]

CrashOveride said:

any one knwo what happens if you run out of RAM an dyou have paging disabled?

Yea. Your ram overheats and catches on fire. It really sucks so dont disable it!

Hehe. You wont be able to open anymore programs or use anymore ram. Or you will have to wait for windows to clean out the space old closed programs were using.

CrazyP

very funny rocko, in XP if you run out of ram, you will get a low virtual ram warning and it will give you a pagefile on its own, whether you like it or not. Ive had it happen to me a few times. In 98 I think it crashes

OP
Gregory_WE

Gregory_WE

Yes, I've disabled it, selected no paging file, done everything, yet it appears everywhere that I still have one, except in the section where you specify it.

OP
Gregory_WE

Gregory_WE

Because I have a GB of extremely fast RAM... I come nowhere near using up all of it, so I'd like to use 100% RAM rather than having anything in the paging file.

OP
Gregory_WE

Gregory_WE

Anyone know? Since I have it set to no paging file shouldn't it be gone? Are these programs lieing to me or what?

OP
Gregory_WE

Gregory_WE

hmm I didn't manually delete it I don't think, but I don't see any Pagefile.sys (either through explorer or searching).

OP
Gregory_WE

Gregory_WE

Ok this is weird, even when I turn the page file on, and it says there should be a C:\Pagefile.sys.... there isn't one there (or at least what I can see). Help? lol :)

OP
Gregory_WE

Gregory_WE

"Hide protected operating system files."

Gah there it is, now I can see it...

OP
Gregory_WE

Gregory_WE

Ok well page file's off, no pagefile.sys exists (deleted it), yet on all my applications (taskmanager, SiSoftSandra, 3DMark2003, etc.) it still shows one as existing and being used.

OP
Gregory_WE

Gregory_WE

So, anyone know if this is just a bug in XP or does a page file still exist?

RichieRuss2000

Registered
Its relitvely easy to remove the pagefile as said go to my computer, properties, advanced, performance settings, advanced, Virtual Memory...change - Now click no page file for each drive however click set after you do it each time then reboot... go back in to performance settings to check that it's gone forever... Enjoy the extra performance

Cheers RichieR

OP
Gregory_WE

Gregory_WE

Yes I'm aware of that, not a n00b here (or at least very) :p

From all that the page file = off... however, what I'm trying to find out, is why all my applications are still reporting a page file existing and in use even though it has been turned off through windows and the actual file has been deleted.

I suppose that maybe I should've chosen a different title for the thread, maybe something like "Page file not actually disabled?" would work better ;)

El<(')>Maxi

Blank Senior Member
What I would do is use a RAM disk for the pagefile. Windows for whatever reason (ask Bill), likes to have a pagefile regardless of the amount of system RAM you have. That way you get the best of both worlds--performance and a paging file. Of course you cannot build a pagefile on the RAM disk using the conventional sizing suggestions. But with 1Gig a 200MB or less RAM disk would work fine. Some RAM disk software is dated and will be trickier to set up. And some will list the RAM disk in the 'my computer' applet so it's easy to set the page file to the RAM disk.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
this might be stupid but your restarted the comptuer right?