• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can my AQUCA 0306 Barton be locked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vonkaar

In ref:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=251635

Basically... I simply cannot change the multis on this chip. I was thinking that it *must* be a motherboard issue at first but was later able to take two other Athlons all over the board with the multiplier settings. I'm now looking at a week six Barton that gives every indication of being multiplier locked. Has this happened before? Am I crazy?

Is there something that I'm missing? I really don't want to return this chip as it apparently has some awesome overclocking potential... but it's pretty useless stuck in 11x. Is this the first 0306 that has been reported as being locked? Is there some hippy Locked Barton support group I can join? I need a hug =/.

Thanks,

Glaze132

With the locked chips you were not able to change the multis in anyway shape or form. So go here www.ocinside.de. And try a different multi and see if it changes to a different multi. If it does then maybe something weird is just happening when it is in your board. Hopefully it works out for you.

Glaze132

If you haven't already I should have suggested this first, but make sure you have the latest BIOS revision for your board as well.

Quailane

I don't think it would be the bios because If it has barton support or not wouldn't affect its abilities to change the multi, right? I'm guessing this hoping that the multiplier pins on thoroughbreds and bartons are the same. Is the package of the cpu brown? If its not I don't think it can possibly be a week 6, but it can't have a locked multi unless it has the green packaging. Maybe the label is wrong?

Pikachu_Mommy

Disabled
He got a hard locked chip! Locked! Locked!!

I dun think it's his board. His board is fine.. even with a great ancient BIOS, it should still be able to change multi's on an unlocked chip. I can change multi's left n right with the kt266 board...

wow... that's unbelievable... 0306 is locked?????? MEOWWWWW

Steve978

you can still hit at least 2300mhz with it locked, so theres no need to necessarily send it back. For what its worth I feel really really bad for you ::HUG::

OP
vonkaar

vonkaar

I have some pretty amazing cooling power... I'd really be wasting it on a locked CPU. The BIOS is the newest release (20). I was able to put a 2400 in it and change the mutliplier all overy the place. Apparently, it *is* a locked cpu =/.

It's a brown chip btw. I really doubt the label is wrong... it certainly *looks* like it's from early 2003 =p.

Sooo... yeah. I have an amazing chip (temp wise) that I have to return because it was a fluke 'locked' chip. I hope that this AQXEA 33 I'm getting will be comparable. Wish me luck =p

Pikachu_Mommy

Disabled
exaccccctly.... locked barton, bad.... for the xtreme oc'ers... good(or okay) for the low-end overclockers... My bro got almost 2.7ghz on a locked barton 2500+ chip but quickly topped out coz FSB was struggling.. that's the problem... It would've oc'ed higher if the multi was unlocked. :(

hitechjb1

hitechjb1 said:

1700+/2500+ default multiplier 11
1800+/2600+ default multiplier 11.5
2800+ default multiplier 12.5
3000+ default multiplier 13
3200+ default multiplier 11

Impact of Tbred B 1700+/1800+ DLT3C or Barton 2500+ w/ locked multiplier on overclocking

If there is no workaround for the locked Barton, these would be the scenarios:

1. It would mostly affect users with KT266A, KT333A motherboads, since those boards can achive max FSB around 150 MHz and 190 MHz respectively, due to 4:1 and 5:1 PCI lock, .... As a result, a Barton 2500+ with 11x multiplier, the max CPU overclocking frequency would be 1650 MHz and 2090 MHz respective. These number are way below the norm of 2.2 - 2.4 GHz for Barton 2500+.

2. It would also affect users using extreme coolings. Assuming they are using nforce2 which can do 220 MHz FSB on the average, and as high as 240+ if using enough Vdd, Vimm and chipset cooling, and "good" RAM, ... So the Barton 2500+ in these systems with 11x multipliers would be limited to overclocked frequency of 2420 MHz (220 FSB) to 2640 MHz (240 FSB). Not 2.7 - 2.9 GHz as hoped for. One would need a Barton with 13x multiplier to achieve 2860 MHz running 220 FSB.

3. For air cooling using a good nforce2 motherboard such as NF7-S rev 2.0, whose FSB averages around 220 MHz +- 10 MHz. The Barton 2500+ should still be able to run at 220 x 11 = 2420 MHz, which is above the norm 2.3 GHz for Barton 2500+. At FSB 230 MHz, which is doable, the Barton would then run at 2530 MHz.

Now the burden becomes putting more demand on the FSB, memory, and how to tune/optimize the FSB reaching 220 - 230 MHz, so that the motherboard, good memory (modules with WinBond CH5/BH5 chips) and FSB are not holding back the Barton 2500+ due to the fixed multiplier 11. If one can only achieve FSB 210 MHz, the Barton would be running at 2320 MHz, which is still above the PR rating of a 3200+ AMD processor.

For complete text,

Impact of Tbred B 1700+/1800+ DLT3C or Barton 2500+ w/ locked multiplier on overclocking (page 18)