• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How come no one uses a cd-rom when water cooling? and rads...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

I have been looking long and hard for anyone that uses a CD-Rom on a PC that is water cooled. I get that you can install almost everything VIA usb. But i rip music, movies, etc and need at least one. I mean i guess one solution would be to use an external CD rom, but i like the idea of having one internal. Then i was thiking well why not use a SFF (small form factor) CD/DVD rom and kind of do a custom front to the pc, but then im not a professional modder so i dont know if actually do that. Im just getting in to water cooling im going to give it a go. So im looking for a good case to start with, and using the rule of thumb of at least a 240mm rad for each part i want to OC (CPU, GPU) that would be about 1 480... granted i was thinking well that could just be min and i dont know how much overhead that would give me.. I mean the way i see it i could get a case that i could run 2 480s and have over kill, but i guess more wouldnt hurt? not sure...

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
I have a BD drive in my liquid cooled system.

attachment.php

Case choice and careful planning are important for a good LC build.

Theres no such thing as too much radiator space, but there is a point where it does become kind of silly to add more.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
:rofl:

Let me clairify, the BlueRay is current, I'm old school. My first computer had a cassette tape to load programs.
:salute:

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I still install cd/dvd drives in a lot of my water cooled rigs but, I have to admit that they just add more to the wiring rats nest.

OP
TransformedBG

TransformedBG

I still install cd/dvd drives in a lot of my water cooled rigs but, I have to admit that they just add more to the wiring rats nest.

i kind of figured that. i just noted a lot of case's that even offer water cooling support no longer even offer bays. but im glad to see people actually use them.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
Lack of ODD bays is a trend across all cases not just H2O compatible cases. Look at all the mITX where there is next to no chance of water cooling and they're missing ODD bays too.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have 2 cases that have no 5.25 bays, for those I use a usb optial drive, I'm kind of glad to see them going the way of the doe doe, they are ugly but, on the other hand I have games so old that optical is the only way to install them.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
It would definitely be easy to build in without having to take tools to it. A bit oversized in my opinion, but I simply prefer smaller cases even if they are harder to work with.

Daddyjaxx

CD's? Movies on DVD and Blu-Ray? Why? Apple, Amazon, Roku, and many others. Shoot, my 2015 Chrysler radio has no CD player in it, but it does have 2 USB ports and bluetooth. I have 30,000 songs sitting in the cloud.

Alaric

Because my CD player sounds way better than my computer, by a huge margin. Not even in the same ballpark. Hell, not even the same sport. And I like owning physical media. Storage drives fail often enough to spur debate over who makes the most reliable drives. And if I don't have internet I can still pop in my copy of Heavy Metal. And I don't use the cloud, even if computer audio didn't sound similar to a bag of cats in the dryer.

Vinyl isn't dead, either. LOL