• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how come P4 2.4Ghz OC Better than 2.6Ghz ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goden99

I have overclocked around 20 P4 2.4Ghz 800fsb.

I have not see one didn't let me push it up to 260fsb. Which gave me 3.12Ghz on AIR. All the way up to 300fsb at 3.6Ghz. (No M0s all older revisions)

I have goten 3 P4 2.6Ghz all from different stores. None M0 Thou all the older revisions and I have not been able to get a 2.6Ghz one of those chips to even HIT 260fsb. Yes 3.38Ghz never happened. I usualy hit between 230 and 245.

The best overclock I can do with P4 2.6Ghz is the Worst I got from P4 2.4Ghz.

Is it just bad luck or are 2.6Ghz bad overclockers ?

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Some say the 2.6 does not OC well, others say luck but who knows really. I have my 2.6 running at 3.6 folding 24/7 everyday stable so maybe I just got really lucky. I had 1 2.4 that would only do 3.4 max.

Grandpa Dan

Due to similar experience I'm starting to think that the 2.6's( for whatever reason) don't oc well. The only thing I can think of is that the problem relates to the cpu multiplier. As that's the only real difference in the chips.

Darryl_D

there is no guarantee that they will overclock better at all.... it all depends on the luck of the draw... I belive it was pacino who back in the day got his northy 2.0a to 3ghz... if you don't know the 2.0a was considered to be a terrible overclocker!!! and to get it to 3ghz i think he had a vapo or something... (anyways allz i remember was what he did it was big at the time!) But if anything it just proves my point... it all depends on the luck of the draw!

climbski

At this point after paying close attention at several forums its pretty clear that the 2.6C is on average a substantially poorer OCer than the 2.4C. However luck still allows for getting a good 2.6C it just requires a higher level of good luck.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
One reason that has come about that the 2.4C's OC better is besides the lower multi on the chip themselfs but the newer die. The 2.4C M0 Stepping is basically a 3.2EE with its L3 cache disabled. The die on these things are much bigger and also uses some new type of adhesive to secure the CPU to the IHS.

This is why it might OC better because it can disipate heat better with the bigger die.

climbski

Max final speed...conventional theory would expect the 2.6C to average a little higher..experience shows however that it averages lower. Won't evne go into the multi/fsb performance issue here.

Ravsitar

It also might have to do with the demand for the 2.4. If there's a huge demand for the 2.4 intel is probably having to take processors that would run faster and set them as 2.4. Intel (and all other chipmakers) try and make only 1 speed of chip (the fastest). Then they test the resulting chips to see how fast they can go. They divide them up by speed and lock the multipliers. So if the demand is huge for the slowest speed chip you can just make an entire batch 2.4 without speed testing them.

Darryl_D

quoted from Ravsitar
It also might have to do with the demand for the 2.4. If there's a huge demand for the 2.4 intel is probably having to take processors that would run faster and set them as 2.4. Intel (and all other chipmakers) try and make only 1 speed of chip (the fastest). Then they test the resulting chips to see how fast they can go. They divide them up by speed and lock the multipliers. So if the demand is huge for the slowest speed chip you can just make an entire batch 2.4 without speed testing them.

Hmm i question the validity of this... if this was so then how come there is about a 150 dollar difference between the intel 3.2c and the good ol 2.4??? i doubt that intel does this on purpose... on the other hand if they had rejected models... like a 2.6 that couldn't run at that speed.. but could run at a lower speed like 2.4 i guess maybe that would be more feasible...

Foxie3a

Normal Member
no, because the Intel processors are locked from the inside out, they can't just unlock it, change the multiplier, then lock it again..it is physically locked.

hawtrawkr

intel has in the past and continues to rebin thier cpus. when they manufacture the chips they dont make them to be a certain speed they make a batch then speed test them then lock multis and bin them. the faster chips get bined for the higher multis just like ravistar said, if there is a high demand for the 2.4c and the amount of binned cpus theyd set aside to be 2.4cs runs out theyll start grabbing them from the other speeds bins and send them out as 2.4s

Optic

Registered
i have gone thru 2 2.6Cs... both are SL6WS
either would go over 3.2ghz at 1.65V....

go figure... sigh

OP
G

goden99

hawtrawkr> So shouldn't the 2.6Ghz be of a higher grade than the 2.4 ? and hence overclock better.

Or there is such a huge demand for 2.4 that some other grades are comming in that are higher ?

Any ideas when the M0 Stepping for 2.6Ghz is comming out ?

Ravsitar

I would image some of it is the massive demand for the 2.4. There's another thing to take into consideration. At this point the p4 chip process has been going on for awhile. It has been shown that as chip makeing processes going on they get better at making chips. That's why the last portion of a praticular cpu overclocks way better than the first few. Basically now that the p4 making process is fully developed they are able to make more (higher %) of higher speed chips from the same wafer.

OP
G

goden99

Ravsitar> true
so now that they disscontinued 2.4Ghz.
the 2.6Ghz will be the ones that get the higher grade :)
right ?
hence we might see some good 2.6Ghz overclocking potential.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
yes when the October price drops came in they discontinued the 2.4 :((

Z

Ravsitar

goden99: That's probably what'll happen. And any chips that can't make 2.6 stable will be castrated and made into 2.4 celerons or such.

I had no idea they discontinued the 2.4. Hmm wonder how much stock's lying around to burn up. Sucky thing is now the price will start creeping up on it. Oh well I'm happy with my 3.0ghz :)