• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How did SLI users handle dissipating the incredible heat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I had been considering putting my 1080Ti's in SLI, but after looking at the power draw for one 1080ti (the worst I've seen is about 340.1 Watts peak GPU power draw in HWiNFO64 at 2000Mhz. core clock) I've realized even if I could power two 1080Ti's with my Seasonic Focus GM-850 and my overclocked 9700K (5.1Ghz.) the heat output would just about melt my case which already can barely handle one overclocked 1080Ti (the motherboard temp. goes up to 37°C under the game that draws the most power [Dying Light]).

So how did anyone manage to keep the hotter running GPU's running in SLI without getting massive throttlling or lock-ups due to heat? Was watercooling the GPU's the only way it could realistically be done?

I tried running 980 Ti SLI some time back. Note both 980 Ti and 1080 Ti are originally 250W TBP cards. If you're seeing much above that, I assume it is an aggressive OC and I'd even go as far as suggesting to restrain it.

Cooling was a problem but more due to the GPU spacing in the case means one would get choked of airflow. Shifting 500W of heat isn't that difficult as long as you have a decent airflow case.

Given the poor SLI support even back then I didn't bother running that for long, and went back to single cards. Just not worth the pain.

Airflow in the chassis...

If someone plans to do this, they need to plan for a lot of Airflow. Obviously watercooling is an even better option.

I used really strong fans. I still use them lol.. They are overkill for almost everything, until I turn on f@h or WCG then it all makes sense lol.

Airflow in the chassis...

If someone plans to do this, they need to plan for a lot of Airflow. Obviously watercooling is an even better option.
Yep and if possible having an empty slot between the two cards to make sure the top card can breathe.

I've got 4 1080Ti cards in a single system. It is an open air benching station and 2 of the cards are on risers and about 12 inches above the motherboard. It still is warm, and I keep the fans about 80%, but it doesn't overheat.

IÂ’m not sure of what MB he has. The MB in his sig has a x79 THAT will support 2 cards with a space/slot between them. What case do you have as good air flow from the front -> back/top is going to help. You can either a) run it on a test bench or b) pop the side to give better air flow until you can get a better case.
You are going to need a better PSU if you -> plan to run all parts OCed. That is one Smoking OC to be pulling ~ 350w from that GPU + having a 2nd of the same model :thup:
For many of the older games - SLI does help on the FPS drop from higher res/max settings. I donÂ’t know about the newer games :-(

Back in the day I ran two GTX 580s in SLI. They were notoriously hot cards to start with and the only thing I found that helped and made it work was to cut an exhaust hole directly across from the two cards in the side panel. I then mounted a high flow 120 fan and it worked. Prior to that the lower card would overheat all the time.

back in the day most cards we bought were reference coolers and they had blowers that blew the cards heat straight out of the case... most of it. I ran dual 4870's and a q8300 overclocked in a case with two quiet 80mm exhaust fans.... added benefit was i ducted the exhaust from the cards to the area under my desk where my feet sat and they stayed nice and toasty.

I’m not sure of what MB he has. The MB in his sig has a x79 THAT will support 2 cards with a space/slot between them. What case do you have as good air flow from the front -> back/top is going to help. You can either a) run it on a test bench or b) pop the side to give better air flow until you can get a better case.
You are going to need a better PSU if you -> plan to run all parts OCed. That is one Smoking OC to be pulling ~ 350w from that GPU + having a 2nd of the same model :thup:
For many of the older games - SLI does help on the FPS drop from higher res/max settings. I don’t know about the newer games :-(

I still have the x79 board, but the rig I would've used the 1080ti's in would have been an Asrock z390 Taichi inside a thermaltake Revo VO2000 and while it does have a 200mm sidecover fan and provision for 120mm case floor fan I don't think that's going to cut it cooling > 840 Watts. Where I live it's really dusty so running an open chassis isn't an option.

Did the dual-GPU cards like the Titan-Z or the AMD powerhouse 295x2 use less power than having two O.G. Titans or two 290x's?

Is the Radeon Pro Duo (Polaris) or Radeon Pro Vega II Duo capable of DX12 multi-GPU or Crossfire?

Back