• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do 1mb L3 xeons hold up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tkotitan

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I plan on building a new system next year and am doing the research for it. I currently run a dual XP 1800+, and I'd like to go dual AMD again, but mobile bartons won't quite reach my rule of "new system must double performance of old system." Dual opterons looks expensive, I may look at them again if somone releases a good overclockers board for them,but now it looks like I'll go the PC-DL rout and get dual OC'ed xeons. Also xeons are better at rendering than AMD so if I get to 3.2-3.4ghz i'll meet my requirement. I was wondering, if anyone has tried to oc a 2.4 or 2.6ghz xeon with a 1mb L3 cache. these chips cost about 300, as opposed to 200, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. Also, I can't find in the spec sheet if they still have the 512k L2 cache in addition to the 1MB L3 (I would assume so.) How well would they overclock? I would think more cache=less overclocability?

Col_Loki

Just looking at the Intel CPU finder (about 2 weeks ago) the 1mb cache Xeons seemed to all be M0 steppings...... which is a good thing.

The other people here would be better able to say after that .

attack

*Welcome to the forums*

I'm not sure exactly about the OCability of those Xeons, but for the AMD's keep in mind the opterons are entirely new instruction sets x86-64, and new arcitecture, so clock for clock they will smoke XP's and bartons (I think an opteron at 2.4ghz is twice the performance of a XP1800+...not 100% sure though). There is already a copy of windows 64bit out (think it costs 1000 dollars....but it's available)...and I'm not sure how much 64bit would help out in encoding/decoding, but It might be worthwhile to reconsider opterons.

None the less a dual Xeon setup is nothing to scoff at, I'd love to get either a Xeon or Opto setup...*drool*

liquidtrance123

i would have to guess you'd have an easier time OCing the 512's than the 1mb's as i have always thought it to be true that more cach = harder to OC to its limits

OP
T

tkotitan

Registered
yeah I found a good article on 2cpu.com reviewing dual xeon setups, and the 2mb versions didn't outperform the 1MB versions by much, so I don't see much logic in going with 1mb when I can go 512k. Also they went into good detail about how the L3 xeon cahce is passthrough so with a 1MB L3 is like your total cache is 1MB, not 1.5+ This is not the case with amd chips, like the opteron.