• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I attach this switch to my PS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoomelon

Hey all,
I bought this little 12v switch on the net, it supposedly lights up, and want it to turn my Antec PS on and off, independently of my motherboard.

Here is the switch:

switch1.jpg

And here are its contacts. I made the writing easier to see with Paint:

switch2.jpg

Now, here is the 20 pin PS connector, with 2 cables stuck in the green and one of the black pins, which are used to turn the PS on and off.

switch3.jpg

If I have the 2 cables attached to the "+" and the "A" on the switch, and it works perfectly, the PS goes on and off when the switch is pressed.

This also happens when the 2 cables are attached to the "+" and the "ground".

However, it does not light up like it should, and I put this down to the fact that there is no power coming from green and black pins and that I need a secondary 12v power source to light the led in the switch.

If this is the case, how do I go about attaching one of the 12v lines on the PS to the switch to make it light up when the PS turns on?

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks!
;)

Last edited:
voodoomelon said:
Hey all,
I bought this little 12v switch on the net, it supposedly lights up, and want it to turn my Antec PS on and off, independently of my motherboard.

If I have the 2 cables attached to the "+" and the "A" on the switch, and it works perfectly, the PS goes on and off when the switch is pressed.

However, it does not light up like it should, and I put this down to the fact that there is no power coming from green and black pins and that I need a secondary 12v power source to light the led in the switch.

If you hook up the wires to the + and the ground leads, does the PSU still turn on and off with the switch?

voodoomelon said:
If this is the case, how do I go about attaching one of the 12v lines on the PS to the switch to make it light up when the PS turns on?

If I had to guess, I would think you would need to hook a ground wire to the ground terminal then attach a 12v line to the middle (A) terminal. Attach the wire going to the pwr-on pin to the (+) term. I could have the A & + terms reversed, so be careful. You will need to attach a 12v source to the terminal not involved in closing the pwr-on loop, and that /should/ supply the juice for the light.

Good luck.

Back