• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I block a port?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Zone Alarm is the first thing I install on any machine and I've had DSL for the past month.

A year ago I had cable and ran Zone Alarm on all of my machines. Back then I only got a total of maybe 1,000 intrusions.

But after having DSL for only a month I've had...
za.jpg

And 80% of them are requesting port 137.
So, is any software available for blocking specific ports? I'm tired of getting a port request every 5 minutes.

turd

Yes there is its called a firewall and you are doing it. There are otherways but you will still get scanned. Try stelthing up your ports through your firewall.

This will disable your broadcasts and should cut down on a lot:

In Windows 2000 you have the possibility to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. You do this by right-clicking on My Network Places and selecting Properties. Then right-click on the appropriate Local Area Connection icon, and select Properties. Next, click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and Properties. Now click Advanced, and select the WINS tab. There you can enable or disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. The changes take effect immediately without rebooting the system.

I assume you are using 2K or XP?