• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I "downgrade" to DirectX 8.1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjc_75

I wanted to return to directX 8.1 from 9.0 and Icant seem to find anything but 8.0runtime for win95 on the microsoft site.

Will that do it for win98?, and is it just a straight install?

Thanks again
C

When you upgrade to a higher direct X you are stuck. It replaces important system files making non-reversible. This topic has come up a lot, so maybe if you do a search you can find something. I know microsoft does not support it, but its possible there are 3rd party programs out there that can reverse it.

I've heard of programs that are like DX blaster, which removes all directx files...kinda risky if you ask me...I would rather do a OS reinstall personaly.

why exactly do you want dx9? futuremark2003? I just cant imagine why a system with 98 would be using dx9.

I had no real reason to install 9.0, I just did without much thought and assuming it was reversible. Thr reason i do want to go back to 8.1 is to use 3dmark 2001(2?), my comp dies with 2003.

c

What? What version of Windows are you running? If it is XP
you can always to a System Restore to a point before you
instatlled DirectX 9. Very easy to do.

cjc_75 said:
I wanted to return to directX 8.1 from 9.0 and Icant seem to find anything but 8.0runtime for win95 on the microsoft site.

Will that do it for win98?, and is it just a straight install?

Thanks again
C

Doesn't that say win98 or am i misreading?;)

there is a program out that reverses the files back to 8.1 did see it on a german website,itry to find it again and will post back

man this gets asked so many times.....USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!:rolleyes:

if you want to run 3dmark2001se, then just download build330. i can 100% garuntee that it works with dx9.

I've heard of programs that are like DX blaster, which removes all directx files...kinda risky if you ask me...I would rather do a OS reinstall personaly.

risky indeed - one of them destoryed my OS on me - so had to reinstall anyway, but as James.Miller says the latest build of 2001SE supports DX9 and its a hell of alot easier to get a small patch than to go through the possibility of an entire reinstall

My main concern wasnt running 3DMArk..it was just a question to satisfy my curiosity about returning to directX8......and I did do a search and didnt get anything.

C

I have the program and it works perfect I got from 9.0 to 8.1.
if you use the program (DXBUSTER) remember to boot into safemode before using it.

If your computer has Dx9, you can still play the games that have earlier verions of Dx...lol

If you really want to revert back to 8.1 though, i'd just reinstall windows. Plus reinstalling gives you a perfectly clean registry, and everything is much faster anyways :)

Back