• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I get the WEP key of the network I'm connected to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnrealAlex

I'm living with my grandparents now, I'm on their laptop is connected to their router wirelessly. I'm trying to connect my desktop via wireless network adapter and need the WEP key, but I can't log into the router because I dont know the pass, which is sad because i was the one that set up the network lol. Right now I'm on their laptop, which is connected to the router so can I pull the WEP key off this laptop without logging onto the router? Normally I would reset the router to get default pass, or ask them but they are asleep.

Edit:Nevermind, I had to splinter cell in the garage and reset the router. at one point something fell and my grandma made a large snore and for a minute or so she made no noise so i thought i had killed her. thankfully her snoring resumed

Last edited:

Omsion

Edit:Nevermind, I had to splinter cell in the garage and reset the router. at one point something fell and my grandma made a large snore and for a minute or so she made no noise so i thought i had killed her. thankfully her snoring resumed
Bad Alex. Nearly killing grandparents. :p

Anyway, I don't think you can retrieve a stored key from Windows.

Jigga

Or...since you set up the router. Why not just reset the router and do the setup again?

Wow. Didn't see the edit. But yea, I usually just reset the router then write down the key somewhere I'll know I can see it.

deed

Depending on the laptop and the software used to connect if you click on it it should display the wep key..... if you are using a desktop just use a wire and a wep key is not required.

JDawggS316

Yeah just ask your grandparents to reset the router :)

I just had this issue and it's really quite simple.