• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED How do I navigate to/see 'appdata' folder when it is NOT my C:\ drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
My google foo is failing me today so I come to the forums for help. I need to be able to see (copy) the appdata path (C:\users\username\appdata), but cannot seem to get permissions to even see it. I need to copy the Minecraft save data for my kiddo before I SE this drive and put a fresh W10 on it. :)

I am certain I am missing something easy.

TIA!

%appdata% in explorer

or just hit run win+r and type that in, it will open the folder

Thanks, but it is not in my C:\ drive it is a secondary drive from another system. The %appd% takes you to the C:\ drive. I just need to figure out how to get permissions to see the folder when its a secondary drive.

EDIT: How to display hidden files and folders -
On win10 open explorer click This PC ( i think it was My computer on win7 ) \ click file at the top of explorer then click Change folder and search options and it's in the second tab.

Last edited:
drive letter:\users\*user*\app data\roaming\.minecraft
make sure theres the . infront of minecraft type it in manually in explorer

to show hidden files and folders in win10 go to view ribbon menu > options all the ay on right> change folder and search options
b509c431b34170356b2c00a456c57846.png

when folder options opens up go to view tab, and make sure radio button next to show hidden files folders and drives is picked.
b5b712331c8a54532f8972d7a581ba95.png

Wagex nailed it. Yep, <drive letter>:\users\<account>\AppData\

My hangup was how to see hidden files and folders... that's all. I posted the resolution in post #3.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

Glad you got it. I didn't post Control Panel>Folder Options>View>Show Hidden Files Folders and Drives because I didn't think it would be that simple. Oops.

Oh it was... I am not a software guy in the least. The google foo was not with me today.. :(

Now.. I just need to figure out how to get the maps and such I saved from there to be read by minecraft again......

I make a lot of image files with ImgBurn. It seems to have a lot less data corruption than Windows Explorer manages when migrating data.

If im not mistaking, If your kid doesnt know how to locate it there is a button in the 'Resource pack' screen that says open resource pack folder and it will open a folder inside the minecraft folder called 'resource packs', Then you just go to the minecraft folder itself and find a folder called saves or something like that.

Here, Made a video to how to get to the folder the way i told you :

Recording quality isnt the best cause its the first time i used the Radeon ReLive.

The problem isn't finding it, I have and copied everything. I dumped it into the same path it came from, but its still not picking up the worlds and save games he had. There was nothing in the resources folders.

The problem isn't finding it, I have and copied everything. I dumped it into the same path it came from, but its still not picking up the worlds and save games he had. There was nothing in the resources folders.

Did you put the saves (worlds) in the saves folder?If you did and it still doesnt find that then ill try to replicate the scenario and see what to do.

Back