• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i optimize for different tickrate servers in CS:S?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

My favorite spot, lanfusion, 69.9.36.4:27015 just bumped up there main server to 66, the others to 100.

DO i change cl_updaterate to these numbers? should other settings be changed?

no, actually 101/101 would work better even on 66 tick servers. i think it something like - if updaterate is lower than 100, the actual value would be devided by two, so you'd get 33 if you set it to 66. and cmdrate is dependant on your fps so make sure you bench at least 140 fps in test to compensate for fps flux.

the way i have my aa/af, I get 60-130 fps depending on level. would 101/101 be a good choice, or chould i pick a lower cmdrate?

i'd say drop some settings a bit. 101/101 is pretty much the best you can do.
tweak it till your fps is between 80 and 100 on the most loaded map while fps is limited to 99; should be a good balance of speed and pretty :p you want believe how easy it is to shoot ppl when your fps doesn't jump much...

ok, i checked my cfg, i was wrong there. you need to limit your fps to 99 to get full updaterate, not to set update to 101. sry 'bout it. been a while since i tweaked it. here's a cpl cfg settings that should get you by on 66 and 100 tick servers:

cl_interp 0.01
cl_interpolate 1
cl_lagcomp_errorcheck 1
cl_cmdrate 101
cl_updaterate 101
fps_max 99

if you use cl_interp 0 or a negative, it might take a lil time to get use to the difference.

Mcoleg Thanks alot for those cfg settings, Im getting tripple the amount of headshots now. :confused:

Uh I used those settings to the letter, and now my ping in my fav servers is like 500-600 wtf? I play on NYC FF a lot, and I always had pings in the 5-50 range. Now its at 500. What is wrong?

just set the cmdrate and updaterate to 101. That is your client settings. The server settings of whatever server you are playing on will dictate the max amount those can be, and will automatically throttle them down if needed.

Jackovas, glad it works for you :)

Prodigious, set your rate to 25000, see if that fixes the ping.

okay just added those to my .cfg. Some i just adjusted, some weren't there so I added them towards the bottom. I hope that works.

added it to the cfg file here: Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\(e-mail)\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg

is that the right file?

I set my cmd rate and update rate to 30, and used the other settings that were listed above. Now my fav servers work phenominally. I play on NYC FF all the time, which is based in upstate New york I believe(I live in southeast PA) and always had about 50-100 pings. Now I'm down in the 20s usually. Whats more, I've hit 5ms pings woot. I've oticed everything is a lot smoother too. Unless someones got a connection problem I usually don't have as many of those shots that don't register.

Back