• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i read the stepping on a p4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ib69nu

i have read the stepping on how to read the production date and the plant, but it doesnt tell me how to read the stepping (b0, b0 shrink, c1). I am going to go to the local shop today, and i want to get a good processor. i know that the c1 is the best stepping intel offers, but what else should i look for. i know that a recent pack date is best.
thanks for helping an amd guy out

OP
ib69nu

ib69nu

now i know which ones i am looking for, how do i find this on the box, or is it only on the processor?
thanks

how good is the retail heatsink on p4's? I know the ones that come with xp's really suck.

looktall

the intel hsf is excellent.
even when overclocking it will serve you well. (the black pad on the base works ok too).

so, you have a list of s-specs, right?
on the box you'll find the s-spec is the last 5 characters of the prod code.

batboy

Senior Moment
The easiest way to tell a C1 stepping is to look at the default voltage. C1 is 1.525v compared to 1.5v of the B0 stepping.

Although I agree the Intel retail heatsink is a fairly good design, the fan that comes with it is quite wimpy and should not be used for anything more than a mild overclock. I strongly disagree with the opinion that the black heat pad that comes with retail heatsink is good. On the contrary, it's pretty crappy.

looktall

the TIM (and the fan for that matter) worked fine on my celeron.
it kept my [email protected]@1.70v below 40C. the avg was about 35C.

i've heard of many people using the intel heatsink for quite large overclocks.

EDIT: mind you, the fan on the celeron cooler is slightly larger than on the P4.