• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i remove a cpu fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArucasA

Registered
Hey guys, just wondering how to take it off so i can install new one? Theres this metal tab at the side of the cpu fan's case, and i can push down but its really hard to do so and nothing happens...

can anyone gimme an explanation on how to remove the fan? hehe

-A.

Yuriman

First, we need to know a bit more info. What socket is it? Socket A, 754 and 478 are all different. Second, what heatsink is it?

Yuriman

Well, if you have an Athlon XP, its socket A, IE 462. If you have a P4, its 478, and if you have an athlon64, its 754(or 939/940, but not likely). Its also written on the socket.

OP
A

ArucasA

Registered
Okay here we go, its a socket.. not sure what type, its a P3 900mhz...

http://daveho.home-net.d2g.com/Picture.jpg (pic)

http://daveho.home-net.d2g.com/video.mpg

this is the video of the noise its making, thats why i wanna take it out... its not the fan, but i think the case is just out of place... when i firmly press the fan to the right the buzzing stops, when i dont the buzzing starts again... it must be vibrating against some metal and causing the sound.. but its really annoying hehe

-Dave

David

Forums Super Moderator
Looks like Socket A to me, I could be wrong. Use a screwdriver (flathead, be careful) to push down the prong at the side of then heatsink and unhook it from the plastic socket. The rest should be easy.

If you just want to change the fan then unscrew the old one and screw the new one back on.

TxAMD

Sometimes those clips get on there pretty tight and can be a b*tch to get off. Like David mentioned, use the flathead screwdriver to pry the metal clip away from the heatsink while you press the clip down as far as it will go. Good Luck!

Snagle

For a PC noob like me, initially installing my heatsink when building my first computer was grueling. As others have said, use a screwdriver that fits the clip perfectly and press hard away. It helps if you have someone to help you and see how much further you have to go to reach the little tab. good luck.