• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i remove the heatsink from my ATI 9800 pro???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenshiro

Hi Guys,

I just received the VGA Silencer from Arctic-cooling. I am going to replace the stock heatsink on my vid card with this. However, I did try previously to remove the stock heat sink, and I ran into problems. I have no trouble removing the stock fan by taking off the screws. It's just the heat sink i have problems. Basically, it has some kind of nut held down by springs. I don't know how to remove it, and I don't want to damage this card. Can someone please advice??? thank you very much...........

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/products/vga_silencer/

Pntgrd

Turn the card over and look at the back. You will see that those "Nuts" you speak of are in reality "pins". Use a pair of small needle-nose pliers and squeeze the pin together and push back through the pcb. Do it carefully as to not damage the pcb with the pliers.

WheaT

FIRST, you need to pull the pins out of the top of the heatsink with needle nose, If you dont do that first you wont be able to squeeze the plastic pieces throught he back.

OP
Kenshiro

Kenshiro

WheaT said:
FIRST, you need to pull the pins out of the top of the heatsink with needle nose, If you dont do that first you wont be able to squeeze the plastic pieces throught he back.

So, do I have to yank really hard to get the pins out, or they will come out pretty easily?

KKAT

just use a pair of tweezers and push the pins together. the pins will come out very easily. be sure to wipe off all the pink stuff. I replace mine with as5.

Yamiyanazz

With my sapphire card, I found a little secret that made it 1000x easier to remove and install the card.

On the back, there are the two pin sides, and then in the middle of the two, there is a little cylinder of plastic between them. Push that down through the card. It makes it much easier to remove and will come off like butter on a warm knife.

With the VGA silencer, I think it would be suggested to remove the GPU shim...I have no clue how to do this, but I will have to do it when I get my VGA silencer. Perhaps somebody else can help you there.

OP
Kenshiro

Kenshiro

Yamiyanazz said:
With my sapphire card, I found a little secret that made it 1000x easier to remove and install the card.

On the back, there are the two pin sides, and then in the middle of the two, there is a little cylinder of plastic between them. Push that down through the card. It makes it much easier to remove and will come off like butter on a warm knife.

With the VGA silencer, I think it would be suggested to remove the GPU shim...I have no clue how to do this, but I will have to do it when I get my VGA silencer. Perhaps somebody else can help you there.

What do you mean by GPU shim????

Docta_Z

Bro...
Just squeeze the two plastic tips on the back of the board one by one with neddlenose plyers so they retract to the same diameter as the hole they sit in and push them out and the heat sink will pop off.

It's very simple and takes... 12 seconds if your slow...

Yamiyanazz

What you will notice on the card after you pull the heatsink off, is a cure in the center and then a metal shim acting as a perimiter. This works for the old heatsink because it had a lowered part for the core, but your new heatsink will not. It is a large hastle, but if you use folow some trusty and easy-to-follow instructions, you should be fine.

OP
Kenshiro

Kenshiro

thanks guys, I manage to remove the stock heat sink with ease. Really appreciate all of your help. As for that shim, do I have to remove it????? Or should I just file down the VGA sliencer so it won't touch the shim? My problem with filing down the shim is that I am worried the HS from the VGA silencer will touch some of the components on the Vid card and short something out. Is this something i have to concern with???

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
Use dental floss under 1 corner and pull it around the shim gently...

OP
Kenshiro

Kenshiro

diehrd said:
Use dental floss under 1 corner and pull it around the shim gently...

Dental floss............ Cool. I will try that tonight.

WheaT

the shim on my board was a good amount below the acual die so I didnt need to remove it at all. Make sure that its getting in the way first. Easy to do by simply laying something flat across. Id make sure its a problem before doing something to correct a problem that isnt there.