• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I setup an auto shutdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
Somewhere in the top 100 folders for team 32
I am running a hardware monitor it watches my temps. What I want to do is set it up to do an auto shutdown if it hits the red zone. I know I have to make a shirtcut of run32dll.exe to do that but I forgot how. I have only done it once and that was about 6 months back.

I am running windows 98 se

Never mind I found it but if anyone else wants to know.
Make a shortcut and thus us the file locatation:
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32,SHExitWindowsEx 1
Put that all together and you get a shortcut that shutsdown windows if say it gets to hot.
Motherboard monitor and Shutdown now dosen't work on my system. So this is my way of doing it

well if you are using mbm you can just set it up to run with Shutdownnow! thats what i use and thank god for it my relay blew and shut my pump off when i was sleeping i woulda been crying

the shuttin down command was mentioned in one of the pc world magazines i read a few months ago

it works good but u really have to watch what programs u got running when u are shutting the pc down with that command

i left my icq runnin and after a few times of shuttin down using that command caused my list to be corrupted...

I too would suggest MBM with Shutdownnow! I learned the hard way when I forgot to turn my pump on .... melted the solder on my junkyard water block thingy (homemade) and spilled water all over. Thank god(s) I only lost my piece of junk video card in the process.

Those programs don't work on my board either. What I was forced to do was search for alternatives. Guess what, I never found any that would recognize my motherboards sensor chip.

I was out of luck until I found a max temp setting in my bios. There I can set my computer to shut down at 65C that's as low as it goes :( but it's better than nothing. Try looking in your bios settings for a option to shut down. Other than good luck searching.

This will help a little bit.

Automated Restarts or Shutdown

Want to shutdown or restart your Windows automatically at a specific time you have defined before? Just follow these simple steps:

Click on Start – Programs – Accessories – System Tools – Scheduled Task to open Task Scheduler. In the Scheduled Task Wizard, use the Browse option and navigate to C:\Windows\Rundll32.exe. Click OK and finish the wizard including select the start time (time to restart your Windows). Once it's done, right click on the newly created task, click Properties, and add the following parameters in the Run line:

C:\Windows\Rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 0x2

Make sure the "Start In:" box contains C:\Windows. Also the "Enabled" box at the bottom of the dialog has checked. Click OK and you have finished the job.

Note:
If you want an automatic shutdown instead of an automatic restart, use the same procedure to locate C:\Windows\Rundll.exe file. And then add the following parameters in the Run line:

C:\Windows\Rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is helpful for auto shut down and reboots only. I thought I would throw this in to help people wanting to have a auto reboot for there computer and wake up to a freshjly booted PC :). I do it once a day and it saves me the trouble of doing it. You have to becareful of certain programs and how they get shut down,. I have not had any problems but you might so be warned :)

Maestro

ok here's the skinny: i dl hmonitor and i actually like it better than mbm and i have alsofigured out how to get windows to actually shutdown instead of rebooting with that commandline. "thx maestro". here is how you do it: create a batch file with this commandline "c:\windows\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 1" dont put the " " in though then install mbm or hmonitor , then set it to execute the BAT when your temps go above whatever setting you have specified :) hope this helps you out

Is that "Ex 1" a unconditional shutdown ? I am just wondering because some shut down commands will not allow a unconditional shutdown unless the prompt.pif is modified in some fashion. I am trying to figure out how to make the seti clc shutdown if the CPU is overheating. I always get a prompt to shut it down manually.

Maestro

the second that command executes the system shuts off regardless of what is running there is no prompts well atleast i didnt get any you should just try it. it shut my system down inlike 2 seconds and i had about 4 windows open

Well dozier you helped me I helped you :) Thanks for the tidbit now I can force Windows to kick out quickly with out stressing about the CPU overheating. I am using a program called ViaTray in Conjunction with Via Hardware Monitor. It does insert a 5 second delay so you can catch the shutdown in advance if it senses a overheat. I have never used MBM since using ViaTray is so damn easy to configure and it kicks Windows out quick enough to my liking. I am using your info as a back up if ViaTray does not kick Windows out. So thanks again :)

Maestro

Maestro (Jul 21, 2001 04:59 a.m.):
Well dozier you helped me I helped you :) Thanks for the tidbit now I can force Windows to kick out quickly with out stressing about the CPU overheating. I am using a program called ViaTray in Conjunction with Via Hardware Monitor. It does insert a 5 second delay so you can catch the shutdown in advance if it senses a overheat. I have never used MBM since using ViaTray is so damn easy to configure and it kicks Windows out quick enough to my liking. I am using your info as a back up if ViaTray does not kick Windows out. So thanks again :)

Maestro

no prob Maestro thats what these forums are all about

Back