• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I setup the seti screensaver so I am team OC.com?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodums

First, let me say, welcome to the team!

Now onto your questions:

I would recommend you use the CLI (Command Line Intereface) client because it is much more efficent and faster in comparison with the GUI/Screen Saver version which uses alot of your CPU cycles to process the graphics. The instructions to set it up can be found here:

http://forums.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62194

When setting up, you'll get to choose 1 or 2. 1 being to create a new account and 2 being to use an existing account. Pretty straight forward. Remembering that e-mail address, you go here: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/account_area.html and click on "If you don't know your password, click here." It will send you your password to the e-mail you registered with. Knowing your password, go to our Berekely Team Stats: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_94265.html

At the top of the menu you will see "Join." Click it and you then enter your e-mail and password.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have trouble setting up SETI Spy + SETI Driver or signing up. I know it's a bit more complicated than Folding but you only have to do the sign up at Berekely once and from then on all your WU are included in the Overclockers.com SETI Team.

Yodums

OP
quegyboe

quegyboe

Well just to let you know, I like the screen saver anyways, even if it isn't as effecient. I leave my computer on all the time and I just like using the SETI screen saver...I like watching all the info and such. As for the info about joining the team, thanks. I am setting it up right now. I used to be into folding, but I find the idea of contacting / finding aliens to be much more interesting.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
Welcome!!

... And may I compliment you on your great sense of style? :D The screen saver is great IMO (other than that darn inneffiency), and I'd still be running it if I didn't want into the top 100 this bad :D

Oh the hypnotizing graphics.... [drool starts pouring out of JigPu's mouth as he stares at quegyboe's screen]

!

Oh... Where was I?? :D

JigPu

deez

SetiSpy and Driver when used together have a lot of nifty features that the screensaver doesn't have. After you finish a WU try it out and if you dont like it just load the screensaver again.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
... But you can use Spy with the GUI (cuz I knew of the horible performace while the graph was drawing), and there is other software out there to cache WUs like Driver ...

There I go again with the merits of the screensaver.... Just can't help it :D

JigPu

EyelessFace

WELCOME!

Hope you enjoy your stay!

I am not as big as some of those that have posted, but I am slowly moving up in the ranks (I am at 402! woohoo).

You can see all the nice data being processed without the screen saver version - use the -verbose command to see all the pretty data processing (minus graphics, ofcourse).

Once again,

WELCOME!