• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I uninstall Internet Explorer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prot

I downloaded the latest version of Firefox today and got all my plugins installed and am really impressed with the speed of it. It is also a lot less bloated than IE6.0 I then went to Add/Remove Windows Components to uninstall Internet Explorer and found that that went pretty quick. Too quick it turned out. Even though it is gone from my start menu, it really is still there. The reason I know this is is number one, uninstalling it did not free up any disk space at all and number two, when I ran Windows Update out of curiousity, Windows Updates opens in Internet Explorer. I am running Windows XP Pro with SP1 and all of the additional patches and updates. Everything works fine, it is just that I thought it would be nice if I hit the uninstall button the stupid thing would actually uninstall. I am guessing it may have something to do the tight integration of IE with Windows XP. I am sure other people have run across this before, but was unable to find a thread about it, hence my post.

Drec

YOU CANT...plain and simple..without it windows will not function properlly

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Ehh, you can tear IE out, but it likes to go kicking and screaming... And there are compatibility issues with a lot of sites and Firefox.

The add/remove components for IE is only for removal of shortcuts, it doesn't touch the application.

Basically, what MS was taken to court for at one point was packageing IE with windows.... And a large part of their defense was that it wasn't a package deal, they were one in the same, inextricably connected.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Mark620 said:
You can remove IE, it it simple - just remove windows....
lol :p

My understanding too is that it can not be removed. I have heard stories of Professors getting IE gone but it was *very* extreeme.

MitchV

How do I uninstall Internet Explorer?

You have to bring a class-action lawsuit, spend years and years in court, and settle for practically nothing.

p.s. It helps if you live in Europe and your government doesn't cave to lobbyist.

hrdwrjnkie

Install Linux. :D

As everyone else has said, IE is so linked with windows that it is near impossible to get it out. There was a program called "Win98 Lite" for windows 98, but it severely restricted functionality. I have never heard of something similar for XP, but I am sure that it is out there.

germanjulian

you should be able to do it soon. remeber the EU ruled that windows has to ship a version of XP called the light version without any 3d apps in (ie no internet explorer, media player etc). so they do have to somehow recode windows so you can remove explorer.

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1241.aspx
and yes without IE you cannot use windows update!