• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do u tell what type ram it is as a chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude2

hey,

when dealing with the chips how do u tell what type of ram it is. When it doesnt say n e thing on the actual chips but u havnt put them in the pc yet???

cheers j

-=TriX-R4-KidS=

dude2 said:
hey,

when dealing with the chips how do u tell what type of ram it is. When it doesnt say n e thing on the actual chips but u havnt put them in the pc yet???

cheers j

good question. i want to know what type of chips are in my el cheapo generic 2100 that can do PC3500 speeds.

Cheesy Peas

well looking at the chips themseles tells you the manufacturer of the chips, be it hynix, micron, smasung, or whatever, the date they were manufactured and most importantly the latency.

this usually comes in the form of maybe a letter and then -6, or -45.

these number are used to work out the rated clock speed of the chips.
heres how you work it out:
find the number (will post a pic later)
do the simple sum of
1000(1sec)/number(nanosec)=rated speed in SDR, DDR speed = 2x this number

for example, you have some chips that say
samsung 2802 ***** -6
they are samsung chips (***** is the part number) and have a latency of 6nano seconds.

so they are rated at 1000/6=166.66= 333DDR.

for double figure numbers like 45, that means 4.5ns.
so you do 1000/4.5= 222=444DDR

hope this helps ya out.
:)

edit:
micron.gif

number 1 = MT= microns stamp
number 2 = latency =75 (rated at 133/266)
number 3 date stamp 9918= week18 in year 99.

Last edited:

zabomb4163

i believe there is also a program that can look at it for you. But removing ram is trivial and it'd take you longer to find the program than to just remove it.

zabomb4163

i believe there is also a program that can look at it for you. But removing ram is trivial and it'd take you longer to find the program than to just remove it.

zabomb4163

scratch that last post Siftsoft Mainboard info will tell you what brand memory you have and what it is rated for.

Cheesy Peas

you can get rid of that post, click the edit button on one of them then chose the delete box near the top, then press the delete button.

they were asking how to identiy ram before it is put into the system, so using software isnt really an option.
:)

snowwie

you can tell it's micron tech. without looking at the text.
it has their trademark two white notches on the sides of the chip