• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you clean your screen? If at all :/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kilomph

Registered
I usually use windex, and once it dries I get a piece of newspaper (as large of a piece as I can find that doesn't have ink on it) and rub the screen untill all the smeres come off. My friend doesnt wash his at all, and one day he washed half of it and it was disgusting, it literally got 30% brighter on the clean side. Well what are you techniques?

nan0_man

It's funny, I bought a used monitor from a store and I guess the previous owner had been a heavy smoker coz when I turned it on everything was a yellow color! NASTY!
Anyway, I ended up having to use "grease lightning" and a green 3M pad. It got it well clean but I find some windex sprayed onto the cloth not the screen will suffice for regular cleaning. :)

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
Any non ammonia based cleanser should work. Ammonia will strip off any anti-glare coatings on the monitor, :)

bafbrian

I know this sounds dumb, but I used rubbing alcohol one time, but it left residue everywhere.

Just out and get some Monitor Cleaner from CompUSA or BestBuy.

OP
K

Kilomph

Registered
madcow235 said:
i have to clean mine regularly because i sneeze or cough or something and its not pretty :) i use windex.

you don't mind the smudges that windex leaves behind?

RobertTheoret

Registered
I use "WET ONES" You know, the little hand wipes that come in a plastic dispenser. They work great for niccotine coated monitors. Get rid of all the grime and grease, and leaves no streaks. BONUS The are anti-bacterial to, for all the sneezer and caughers out there.

emericanchaos

windex with amonia D. if you use only a small amount and wipe well it won't streak. most common mistake with cleaning glass is people use to much cleaner and don't wipe well enough. i learned how to do this while detailing cars. people who drive porshe's are very picky about their cars.

four4875

ehh... clean? hmm... new word to this rom.... ohhhhh.. i know what you mean! i wipe it off with my hand when it gets bumped, and i notice a difference in brightness (where the bump wiped the dust off) other than that... never.... and the plastic is more yellow than white, from the niccotine and tobacco (i dont smoke, everyone else here does)

ToledoSteel

I use the broken hand of whatever fool rubbed their excessively greasy paws all over my screen like an idiot. Why because they clearly wanted a broken hand. Oh then I generally use an eyeglass wipe thingy. (yes thats a technical term)

PsYcO CyBrArIaN

A 1 to 20 solution of Simple Green,water. Apply to afflicted area, wipe any excess away with a clean dry cloth turning frequently.

Sound like the instructions on the back, you say?

PunkRawk911

I use eyeglass cleaner. It doesn't have ammonia in it like windex does, and ammonia will slowly eat away at ARAG (Anti-Reflection/Anti-Glare) coating. I also use lint free cloths because normal paper towels leave minute scratches in some stuff, and yeah, that just ins't cool.

DAGO

Curmudgeon
Another Windex user here, but since I quit smoking a few years back I don't have anywhere near the problem...Usually wipe it down when I do my weekly defragmenting of the HDD...:)