• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do YOU game?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How do YOU game?

• Beat the game as fast as possible.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • Run every last side quest or mission.

Votes: 79 70.5%

• Total voters

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
This is a poll request from ratbuddy.

ratbuddy said:
How do YOU game?

1. Beat the game as fast as possible.
2. Run every last side quest or mission, and only move on to 'story' stuff when there's nothing else to do.

Marshmallow64

Depends on what type of game. For my RPGs I like to get all the secrets and do everything, get all the best weapons, etc. For FPS and most other games I like to just finish it as fast as possible to get the idea, I even set the settings on easiest if applicable.

moocow

Depends on the individual game. If it is a great game I'll beat every side quest and do everything I can possibly do in it, but if it doesn't appeal to me I just beat it as quickly as I can.

Flurp

Depends on the game as most... I generally beat the game as fast as possible, RPGs I like to do all the side quests... but depending on the game it's normally a compromise of side quests but not taking too long on them...

GrimX9

Depends on game, if its a RPG, I like to do all the side missions I come across (ES4 is amaazing for this). RTS games, I like to build a massive defensive base and let em come to me.

FPS games, I like to speed through.

SeanBest

Depends on the game as well. I've been playing Borderlands lately and did every mission before I went on to any new area if possible.

GatorChamp

Depends on the individual game. If it is a great game I'll beat every side quest and do everything I can possibly do in it, but if it doesn't appeal to me I just beat it as quickly as I can.

What he said.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
Depends on game, if its a RPG, I like to do all the side missions I come across (ES4 is amaazing for this). RTS games, I like to build a massive defensive base and let em come to me.

FPS games, I like to speed through.

A big +1. I played Oblivion for a month without even touching the main quest. I went through FEAR in about a week only playing for a couple hours a day, at the most.

shard

I love trying to do as much as I can, wherever I can.

And yeah deadlysyn, I played for about 120+hrs in game until I finished the main quest lol.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I love trying to do as much as I can, wherever I can.

And yeah deadlysyn, I played for about 120+hrs in game until I finished the main quest lol.

To be completely honest, I don't think I ever finished the main quest. I think I got maybe halfway through it, and still haven't done all of the side quests. The only game I have really had time to play lately is [email protected]:p, but I may get the urge to install Oblivion again and try to do everything in the game.

Neuromancer

Can't see paying for a game and finishing it as fast as possible. Although FPS are kind of addicting and I usually finish them in 2 days, which is why I do not buy them. Multiplayer is not really an option for me, by the time a game has all the bugs worked out and is worth buying, the online players are ridiculous and I can not compete. I suppose I could if I spent enough time trying to play the same damn maps over and over again like they do, not really too much fun in that though.

Plus FPS I tend to pull sniper role, strategy games I adopt builder style, RPG I tend to build the skill and magic based characters.

I did find playing... think it was AAO, might have been COD, that if I run right at people with a heavy machine gun and just sidestep alot it was real easy to rack up the kills. (controlled burts) but it was not fun, as it lacked any skill. I prefer the headshot on the moving target at 500 yards :)

Plus watching people run and jump like bunny rabbits, well, its just kind of stupid TBH.

Aynjell

Option 2, but only with games that are awesome. Stuff like Fallout 3, or Oblivion, yes I get anal. Even WoW I tend to go further than just "get to 80", but stuff that doesn't seem like it needs to be any longer (riddick for example)...

Krogen

I *try* to unlock as much as possible, but I also don't want to move at a snails pace. But I guess I'm leaning towards option 2.

ratbuddy

The way this question is phrased it only really applies to RPGS. In RPGs I tend to do everything.

It could apply to any game with optional objectives, I think. I used to obsessively reset stuff like Pilotwings and Mario Kart even until I got perfect scores, and will replay missions on games like C&C3 until I get all the bonus objectives :p

Neuromancer

The way this question is phrased it only really applies to RPGS. In RPGs I tend to do everything.

It applies to FPS as well.

There are so many shooters that you can avoid combat or take one route over another. I try and take out every last enemy :) And if there are two routes, I take one and work backwards through the other.