• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you know when to upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captain_sHiFTy

I'm currently running an MSI K7N2 Delta nforce 2 board, with an athlon 1800+ palamino (soon 2 b a 2500+ barton oc'd), a volcano 12, two 120mm case fans, a 32x12x40 burner, 40 gb hd, floppy drive, geforce4 ti4200 128 mb, and a soundblaster live! sound card off my standard ATX power supply

i ve used up all the power cables. (except for one, but im not sure what that ones supposed to be used for anyways...)

when do i know when i need to upgrade to a higher wattage psu?

spiritedandy

Premium Member
i had a 300w psu everything was fine until i satarted overclocking....

we are all here to overclock as high as poss (well i am:D ).......
so i would invest in a new psu as well .....as you say you will be overclocking so it wont last long !

you can pick up a cheap psu tho ....mine does me fine see sig......cant complain about it at all :)

andy:D

dalilman52

well the last time i upgraded was i went from a 300w antec to a 350w fortron, the fortron psu's will run just about any computer, big or small, but if u are planning to do some heavy overclocking and dont plan on spending a lot on a cheap, quality power supply, get the fortron 530w from newegg

it has the best voltage rails for it's price range and is THE best budget power supply everyone should look at

and for when u need to know when ur power suppkly just isnt cutting it, i woud say when ur doing some overclocking and ur pc just randomly restarts or when it shuts down prematurely, or when u monitor ur voltage rails, they are very off, like if ur +12v was at 11.2 or something

OP
captain_sHiFTy

captain_sHiFTy

ok, thats what i thought

and crap, my computer duz all of those things when its oc'ed

haha, better start digging into my pockets then :(

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover

Mico

Yeah...the Fortron and Sparkle PSU (both from the same company) are excellent choices. The 350w should probably suit your needs, but the 540w would also suit future needs. Buy as you wish, and have fun with your new system!

dalilman52

well high fsbs require more vcore, so raising the vcore or lowering the fsb would have fixed that, but this isnt shifty's problem, his comp is restarting randomly, AND his voltage rails are very low, meaning it is his psu that is not giving out enough power

OP
captain_sHiFTy

captain_sHiFTy

plus it was a pretty crap psu to start with. I bought the thing on a very strict budget (didnt even have enough for speakers :p), and i was too much of a N00B to think that spending money on a quality psu was important.
Oh well. new powersuppy, new case, and that barton i was wanting and i can have a whole new tower anyways lol.
Anybody know a good budget case thats got a window and comes with a good quality powersupply? (preferably black)