• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do you refurb a cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodums

Yodums

Athlonman said:
Does AMD or Intel really take them apart and fix them?

Refurbish has many definitions. It could be something like Joe go buys a CPU and he notices it has a bent pin, Intel bends it back and the CPU still works and it's a refurb.

I don't know whether it's even possible to take it apart since like things are done mechanically and stuff.

KLowD9x

Most refurbd. stuff is like a whole computer system. The only thing they do there, is run the recovery disk and pay someone to clean the whole machine with windex.

garwain

Refurb is quite a vague term. I bought a refurb DVD drive that was defective and some circuits were re-soldered. The drive isn't all that great, but I got it for next to nothing.

My refurb printer was used as a demo in the store, so after it had sat on the display shelf for a few months, collecting dust and having every kid push the buttons, they sold the printer for about 1/3 of it's retail price. Let's see, by spending an extra $15 to have it cleaned, and 5 minutes to pop the faceplate off the pannel and free up the stuck buttons... I think that was worth the $400 I saved (it's a combo unit)

Being refurb can mean anything from having cosmetic damage (ie scrached, or a speck of paint, or something) to being almost completely rebuilt. Probably working parts that are salvaged from damaged machines would be considered refurb as well.