• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you run a Delta38 at 7volts again?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
This should help out others as well...

I can't remember, or it was never quite clear, how do you run a Delta38 at 7 volts? Obviously they run at 12v stock....

It has something to do with combining the 12v and 5v leads somehow...I just don't remember....can someone give some instructions on how to do this?

Mike

I don't know about combining wires, but running a rheo on the fan will work.

You rewire the connector so that the 5V line is used as ground. 12V-5V = 7V drop across the fan. You can also hook up a simple switch that will switch between the real ground and the 5V line as the ground to your fan. Go to www.fanbus.com....it tells how to do it if I remember correctly.

I have done this, but I have to say that it is a bad electronics practice. For higher current fans, you can cause the PSU to shut down, thinking it has a short from the +12 to the +5 somewhere. Just MHO.

Hoot

Hoot (Jun 09, 2001 12:25 a.m.):
I have done this, but I have to say that it is a bad electronics practice. For higher current fans, you can cause the PSU to shut down, thinking it has a short from the +12 to the +5 somewhere. Just MHO.

Hoot

agreed.

the rheo on the12v line is definitely a better way to go. plus it looks cool if you mount it nicely on a front panel.

Thanks for the advice guys...was thinking of donating my delta's to my work, but can't have em screaming at people :) I should have some old rheostats lying around from an old stereo or something....

Is the wire trick really dangerous or just bad practice?

Mike

It's not dangerous, it just may result in the PC refusing to power up. If it does crowbar the PSU, you will have to unplug the AC cord and leave it off for about 30 seconds so that the PSU can reset. Like I said, low wattage and brushless fans can usually get away with this trick. There is no harm in trying it though. Just don't do it if the PC in question is performing a vital function at the time.

Hoot

Back