• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Do You Type A Null Character

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thelemac

Administratively Deficient
It looks like nothing. :) It's just a nothing in the data stream. It would be 0000 0000 in ASCII.

You can also get it with ALT+000. That's what a NULL character is. :)

Generally they're used as a string terminator, so that the output functions know when to stop outputting.

Thelemac

Administratively Deficient
that would be '\0' (with the single quote for a char type) :)

litghost

no you guys are all wrong its alt+255 in dos(or command line) lol, for anyone that owns a win98 machine, in dos make a folder with the alt+255 character, and try opening it in explorer, its funny

XWRed1

Trying to open c:\con\con from an address bar in explorer in win9x is even more fun.

Niloc

litghost said:
no you guys are all wrong its alt+255 in dos(or command line) lol, for anyone that owns a win98 machine, in dos make a folder with the alt+255 character, and try opening it in explorer, its funny

No what I stated above is right. I dont know about this... it may be right as well but Im postive my way is right also.

litghost

lol alt+255 is a null charater that exists only in win2k xp, and dos

if you make a folder or file with that character in it any win9x when u try to do anything it will say "this file doesnt exist", it will have no mem usage, for all purposes windows thinks it doesnt exist, fun stuff

Daemonfly

Easter egg? hah!

c:\con\con <--- do NOT do this if you have anything that hasn't been saved to disk, etc... =P

Also works from the start -> run

or in a batch file.

c:\aux\aux supposedly does the same thing

litghost

well it doesnt matter i dont have a win9x machine anymore, and im not trying that on my schools comps

XWRed1

Hehe.

C:\prn\prn does it too, or whatever the file descriptor for the printer was in dos. Maybe it was lpt, i can't remember.

All it does is make your machine blue screen.