• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Do You Type A Null Character

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It looks like nothing. :) It's just a nothing in the data stream. It would be 0000 0000 in ASCII.

You can also get it with ALT+000. That's what a NULL character is. :)

Generally they're used as a string terminator, so that the output functions know when to stop outputting.

that would be '\0' (with the single quote for a char type) :)

no you guys are all wrong its alt+255 in dos(or command line) lol, for anyone that owns a win98 machine, in dos make a folder with the alt+255 character, and try opening it in explorer, its funny

Trying to open c:\con\con from an address bar in explorer in win9x is even more fun.

litghost said:
no you guys are all wrong its alt+255 in dos(or command line) lol, for anyone that owns a win98 machine, in dos make a folder with the alt+255 character, and try opening it in explorer, its funny

No what I stated above is right. I dont know about this... it may be right as well but Im postive my way is right also.

lol alt+255 is a null charater that exists only in win2k xp, and dos

if you make a folder or file with that character in it any win9x when u try to do anything it will say "this file doesnt exist", it will have no mem usage, for all purposes windows thinks it doesnt exist, fun stuff

Easter egg? hah!

c:\con\con <--- do NOT do this if you have anything that hasn't been saved to disk, etc... =P

Also works from the start -> run

or in a batch file.

c:\aux\aux supposedly does the same thing

well it doesnt matter i dont have a win9x machine anymore, and im not trying that on my schools comps

Hehe.

C:\prn\prn does it too, or whatever the file descriptor for the printer was in dos. Maybe it was lpt, i can't remember.

All it does is make your machine blue screen.

Back