• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how does a tornado sound/preform at half speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EgoFumPapa

quick question before i make a decision. i just installed my fan controller, which uses switches (off/half speed/full speed) how would it preform at half speed, and would the noise be tolerable? i want the option to have the tornado's power if i need it, or if i just want to flip a switch and freak some people out :D

I find it just as noisy at 1/2 speed as full speed. My fan controller is turned all the way down, and my temps only go up a few deg. But if you have it installed already just give it a try...

they normally operate at 12v, and i would run it at around 6. i think i can decrease that a bit. otherwise, what would be some good fans to operate nicely at half speed, but have that extra punch if need be?

My fan controller at 1/2 is not really 1/2 speed i guess. Probably 3/4. Droping it to 6v should reduce the noist alot, that may be close to where mine is turned all the way down. Mabey 5v its a vantec nexus fan controller and i cant rember what V the settings are :(

well i have the Tornado or the blow dryer as i like to call it and this thing will get unbearable after about 3 or 4 hours. good luck. i think someone was starting a support group for TORNADO users. you will lose your hearing sooner than expected!!!!!

Half-speed, or 7v or as low as it will run at, is totally bareable. Almost silent.

Between 7v (about 1900-2300rpm) and 12v (4900rpm) is about 4-8°C difference during load.. (depends how 'loaded' the cpu is, and how long, and what the case temp raises to -- when other things are lower, this thing overperforms).

Idle it makes no difference full or low. Stays around 38-41°C idle.

-Frank

i think someone was starting a support group for TORNADO users. you will lose your hearing sooner than expected!!!!!

Yeah, that's my brother... although he was joking when he said it... his 92mm wasn't bad when turned down to 7-8V, he could sleep with it on so it must not have been that loud. :D

If you remove all of the grills that are in the way of the Tornado, you can reduce the noise an incredible amount. Here's a mod that I just did to reduce the noise on my intakes.... I removed the plastic grill and installed a metal one. Grill pic

well ok, ive ordered one 92mm tornado that will go on my sp94, and i have three 80mm slots to fill on my case. i was thinking i could put tornados on those slots and just run them at 6-7v until i needed extra cooling for whatever may come up, or i would get the highest powered panaflo/delta/sunon. which is the best choice?

Last edited:
Don't use the Tornado's for case fans. They aren't designed for case-flow. They're designed to push a lot of air through a cramped rack-server or dense heatsink. Very directed air-flow. A normal Panaflo, or 40cfm Sunons should suffice. They're silent, and efficient for case fans.

-Frank

got a rack-case, its cramped, and i got 3 tornados on the way, one for the SP-94 and 2 for the "front gates of hell" as i call the air intake on the case...

Good, i seam to fitt all the requierments for having the tornados as case fans aswell... And i hope i can finaly get my cpu temp below the high 40's on idle atleast.

One dumb question tho, what "kind" of noise do the tornados make, a high pitch whining, bearing rumble, or what ?

B!

92mm's make a loud hum... no bearing noise, just air moving.

the 80mm makes a louder whine, think mosquito with a ricer exhaust :D

I used the 80mm for about a week, and it's been sitting out of my case for 3 months now... and it's going to sit there for a long time.

Mr. B, I would say that you're a prime candidate for some 92mm Tornadoes.... as long as you don't mind noise. I would never recommend a 80mm Tornado to anyone, they're just too loud and annoying.

EgoFumPapa, I wouldn't get the 80mm Tornadoes for your case, you'd remove them eventually and it would just be a waste of money. Just try some good 80mm case fans... or mod some 92mm's on there, all you have to do with 92's is enlarge the hole a little and drill new mounting holes. I installed a 120mm on top on the 80mm I have intaking in the front of my case, it took me about 10 minutes to do with some metal snips and a drill. Good Luck guys ! :)

Here's a pic of the inside of my case if you can't picture what I just said... PIC

Back