• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how does crystalfontz backlight their lcds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grim

anybodyt hat owns a crystalfontz lcd know what they use to backlight them? what i want to do is buy one of their 20x4 character serial lcds and change the backlight color to red. i dont see why they dont have a red serial lcd - they have red character lcds without the serial adapter. i want to buy the serial lcd and change the backlight because i think it would require less soldering skill than all those wires for putting a serial cable on.

OP
G

grim

yeah i noticed that display. it jsut that im afraid to try soldring all the wires for the serial connector. i dont see why they dont have a serial version of the red one. they have all the other colors.

--edit-- well, looking at the price of their character lcds($30) compared to the ones with a serial connector($60) i will probably just solder my own serial cable on. anybody have a link to a good guide?

Last edited:

chittnp

Im too lazy to look it up, but i know for certain this overclockers.com has a guide on makeing your own serial LCD in here somewhere