• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How does my 2 year old system compare to TODAY's speakers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

b0bby

I haven't really been following sound at all for about 3 years or so ever since i bought the original Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 about 2 or so years ago. They were the speakers of choice back then and the top of the line 'award-winning' speakers that i paid ~400 bucks for when they first came out. I've loved them and still love them but i've seen 8 channel stuff these days and just wanted to know if i should be upgrading. How do today's systems compare to i guess the big kahuna of a few years ago. I'd like the same sound quality from these Klipsch in a 7.1 setup but not sure if it's that much of a difference. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

-b0bby

I'd say stay with what you have. Unless you watch a lot of movies or have a very well acoustically tuned room 7.1 isnt really worth switching to with what you already have. Also 5.1 is well endowed enough for games.

yeh i figured i didn't need to change my speakers out. i haven't experienced any 6.1 or 7.1 so i don't know what the quality is like. im getting excellent sound now with the speakers mounted about 10 feet apart and center chan 2 feet in front of me. guess i'll use this until klipsch comes out with a good 7.1 THX system. thanks for the input.

-b0bby

Yeah, actual speaker technology hasnt changed much in 2 years. If you are happy with the way the Klipsch sound, I reccomend you keep them, as like the other guys said, 7.1 isnt very necessary in many cases.

where can you go to hear some true 7.1 sound. i've been around to local retail and have yet to see anyone set something like this up. not even speaking about pc speakers but home theater in general. do most movie theaters use something higher than 5.1? someone point me in a direction. i'd like to hear what those 2 extra speakers do.

bobby: There is no true discrete 7.1 sound. On dvd's there is only 6.1 DTS-ES and 5.1 DD EX (uses a 6th rear channel matrix encoded into the surrounds). Movie theaters use the same DD and DTS 5.1/6.1 that we use at home, they just have each channel spread out to more speakers..

d4rr3n said:
bobby: There is no true discrete 7.1 sound. On dvd's there is only 6.1 DTS-ES and 5.1 DD EX (uses a 6th rear channel matrix encoded into the surrounds). Movie theaters use the same DD and DTS 5.1/6.1 that we use at home, they just have each channel spread out to more speakers..

i figured movie theaters were still 5.1 dts but i just wanted a 7.1 demo i guess. the standard is still that new to where theres no true 7.1. i thought 5.1 was good enough but didn't know why you would need anymore channels. one day they'll have 360.1 for true 'surround' sound.

do u thikn today's speakers are better than 24 year old ADS speakers? i thikn i paid too much for repairing these speakers, but they sound excellent, i can't hook them up to my computer for some odd reason, but through a turntable, they sound great.

you can't hook them up to your computer because your computer isn't meant to power them, get a decent reciever rig, then pipe the audio out to the reciever, then to your wonderful speakers.

Pro*Banshee said:
you can't hook them up to your computer because your computer isn't meant to power them, get a decent reciever rig, then pipe the audio out to the reciever, then to your wonderful speakers.

ugh.

dont worry about him 100mbHD. as i pointed out before i think you are getting line noise. did you try any of my recomendations?

Back