• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How far can I go???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterHerrm

Registered
Howdiho!

Could someone tell me, what I should do?

My P3 800Eb runs @ 930 stable(155Mhz FSB) with 1.9VCore
Ram works at 3.4V and 155Mhz, too. If I go any higher, my Harddisk is particularly deleted and I have to format.
My Chipset is also extra cooled.
I could put the RAM-Voltage to 3.6V, but I don't know, if I have to cool it.
Is it necessary to cool them, or can I put the Voltage up without having my phone next to me to call the Firefighters?

I hope You can understand me, 'cause I'm from Germany.

Ciao!

System:pIII800EB@[email protected], ASUS CUSL2, 512Mb PC133 Infineon CL2 RAM, ASUS Geforce 4 4400, SBLive Player 1024, Realtek 10/100Mbit LAN, Pinaccle TV-Card, 24x CD-recorder, 16x/48x Toshiba DVD, 45GB Western Digital UDMA66 Harddisk, 430W and so on.

That already sounds like a pretty nice OC. If you are stabile at 155 fsb, then I would say to stay there and enjoy your nice OC. Especially if you cant go any higher without scrambling the hd. I have never been a big fan of adding very much voltage, as it seems to only shorten the life of your components drastically. The older Pentium chips seemed to fair much better than the new ones are with added voltage. Adding voltage to your ram will do the same, and adding heatsinks to the ram will help but only a little. What I would think of doing if I were you is upgrading to a new Celeron Tualatin 1.1 - 1.2 gig if you are really hungry for a bit more speed.

You're scambling the harddrive because the PCI bus is too high if you go above your current settings. That's the trouble with those "EB" processors, they start out with a high default FSB (133 MHz), so it don't give you much room to work with. Looks like that's about the best you can hope for with that system. Actually, it's a good overclock considering what you have to work with.

Hi!

I would buy a new Tualatin, but then I had to buy a new MoBo.
Or is there any Trick to run the new P3s on the ''older'' Boards?

But on the CPU Database there's sometimes my P3 described running at 1Ghz and even more.

I also have got a Celeron 1Ghz FCPGA1, but it's slower than the P3 800eb. Could he (the Celly) make 1333Mhz?

And another Question: How could I reach 200Mhz FSB with my Mainboard. In Hardware-Magazines is written, it could do 200Mhz, but I only can put it to 166Mhz at 41Mhz PCI.
Could I drive the System anyway with 166FSB/33PCI?
I've read there's a ''divider''. But I can't find it in my BIOS.

Please answer.
Ciao!

Last edited:
There is a way to modify some slot 1 motherboards to accept the Tualatin CPU, but I believe your Asus is a socket 370 motherboard. I think Powerleap makes an adapter for the socket 370 motherboards that will work for you.

Just because someone made an entry in the database does NOT mean it was stable. They might of even lied or made it up. There are probably a few that did clock that fast, but most probably won't.

The Celeron 1000 might make 1.12 gig (10X112), but I really doubt it'll hit 133 FSB, sorry.

I think the PCI dividers on your mother are sort of automatic or at least tied to FSB. Sometimes you might have a limited choice, like 124 (1/3) or 124 (1/4), but the trouble is, you're underclocking the PCI bus if you use a 1/4 divider under 133 FSB, which might slightly decrease performance.

Reaching 200 FSB is impossible under normal conditions unless you can manually fix the PCI bus to default or if you have 1/5 or 1/6 PCI divider, which I don't think that motherboard has.

Last edited:
I know there is an adapter, but they are so expensive, the cheapest one was about75 Euro, ca 75 usd.

MasterHerrm said:
I know there is an adapter, but they are so expensive, the cheapest one was about75 Euro, ca 75 usd.

you DON'T need no adapter...a simple mod will do the trick. please re-read batboy's thread for more info.

Yes, I read it, but i've got a Socket370 MoBo.

OK, I have a Slot1 BX-Board, too, but I don't think, it's good enough.

At 157MHz FSB the System posts and boots up into WinXP.
Then I make a 3dmark and I get 7500 Marks, instead of 7400, which I get now. But when I run It with Software T&L, after a few tests I get back to Windows and see my system dying. More and more Software is corrupt or deleted. After 5 minutes I have to reboot, because of mysterious errata. When I reboot then, Windows doesn't start anymore, so i have to format and to install Windows and everything again.

get a barracuda IV then, someone in the forum runs it as high as 49 fsb without any problem. so if your mobo supports 1/4 divider, 157/4 = 39.2 fsb. 1/3 divider? 157/3 = 52fsb..that i don't know.

Yeah, his mobo has 1/4 divider at 133 FSB or above. Some harddrives can tolerate higher PCI bus speeds better than others. Those older ATA66 Western Digital drives are sort of only "average" overclockers. IBM harddrives seems to do well at higher speeds too. But, if you buys a new harddrive, that will cost as much or more than the Powerleap adapter. I say be happy with what you got for now and save up your Euros for a better system, like maybe a nice Northwood P-4 screamer.

i have to disagree with batboy here...Harddrive is just as important as cpu...and it usually last longer too. Pick a good hdd is cruial to overall performace; otherwise, why would people want to set up an raid 0 and etc.

I'm not saying the harddrive ain't important, I'm saying it's not worth spending anymore money upgrading this system for only a few extra MHz gain.

batboy said:
I'm not saying the harddrive ain't important, I'm saying it's not worth spending anymore money upgrading this system for only a few extra MHz gain.

sorry man, i did not read your thread carefully. In that case, yeah,, you are better off saving your $ for ata100/133 hdd or a much powerful p4/xp. PIII is on its end, don't waste more on it.

Wanna drop in a TUALATIN here you go.

http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/370gu/compatibility.htm.

find this product, see if its compatible with your MOBO, if so, BUY it along with a Celeron 1.4 Tualatin, pin mod the beast, OC the living crap out of it, and enjoy the system for a few more years.

Did i mention that a 1.7OCd Tualatin has the chance of outperforming at 2.0A? Well it does.

God Speed on your OC journey :burn:.

Kam :cool:

Hi!

First thank you for your Tips.

But I've one question:
Does anyone know, how much the new SATA-Harddrives will cost?
Will they be expensiver than UDMA100/133 HDs?
And will there be adapters for UDMA100/133 HDs to enjoy the new nice, extreme thin Cables?

Should I wait for Serial ATA, or should I buy now a UDMA100/133 HD to pull out'a my System the last bit of Power?
I've seen, there's Maxtor, who produces 133er disks. Are they better for OCing or Should I buy the Seagate Barracuda IV?

I've decided, buyin' me a new Board with new RAM and CPU next march or april. But it should be a P4 but with the new Prescott-Core, 'cause 166MHz FSB. Hehe.

Please Answer.

Ciao.

Hi!
Have got a new HD!!!
It doesn't scamble at 40MHz PCI!
But in 3D-Mark it goes back to the Desktop after the first Test....
I think it's the RAM, 'cause if I overclock the CPU without ocing the RAM, it runs, but slower than at 155MHz.

Does it help, if I overvolt the RAM now???
And will I need a RAM-Heatsink?

Bye!

Back