• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How far can I overclock a i5 2500k with the factory heatsink/fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oh u mad

Registered
I remember reading here that I can go up to 4 GHZ on the stock cooler, but I'm not sure how much to raise the voltage to. Will the temps be too high for an everyday overclock to 4 GHZ?

Every chip is different. The only way you can find out what YOUR processor can do is by testing it yourself. Just try to keep temps in the mid 70s or lower.

I would think that 4ghz would be attainable. As SMOKEU said it depends on your chip, etc. Try to see what you can get out of it with stock voltage going into it, run prime95/linx and see what your load temperatures are at using CoreTemp, if they are under 80C for 100% load on all cores then I would think it would be OK, but preferably under 70C.

I would think that 4ghz would be attainable. As SMOKEU said it depends on your chip, etc. Try to see what you can get out of it with stock voltage going into it, run prime95/linx and see what your load temperatures are at using CoreTemp, if they are under 80C for 100% load on all cores then I would think it would be OK, but preferably under 70C.
+1 Stress testing under 80C for that would be your limit. THe chips limit is something not attainable on stock cooling.

You can buy a Hyper 212+ for around $30, why take a chance?
So long as he keeps the temps in check, all is well. If he is not satisfied where the stock cooler gets him, that Hyper 212+ is a solid bang for your buck choice. ;)

thanks guys, I will make my goal 4 GHZ at 75c max w/ factory vcore. Is it possible to safely raise the Vcore at ALL with the factory cooler or will it run too hot no matter what?

BTW, is there even a noticeable difference in everyday performance?

If you keep it on auto it will set a value that's way too high for that overclock.
You could keep all on default and see with cpu-z what the average vcore is when running prime95. My 2600k does 1.224 under full load with the turbo at 38x.
So I set it manual at that value and found 4.2Ghz only needs 1.2000 on my system
That's even lower compared to the stock voltage under load.
The 2500k has slightly lower vcores, but you can find them out with cpuz.
I find the stock cooler is a total waste of space in the cpu box. Even with stock settings it hits 80°C quite easy. It would really be wise to invest in a decent cooler, like the hyper212+ which does a good job, and isn't expensive. It will allow for higher overclocks should you desire to go that route eventually.

To be honest, going from 3700 to 4000 will not make a difference in gaming. Even going for the 4.4/4.6 Ghz gives little extra fps in games.

One thing to keep in mind, I started with a fixed vcore, this will be on 100% of the time, although the cpu clocks down, vcore doesn't when idling. Now I use offset, and control the overvolt with cpu offset voltage, takes a little experimenting before you get to the desired vcore when under full load, but will give the benefit of the vcore going low when doing simple tasks. Don't know if this really matters though, I ran my E8500 for 3 years at a fixed voltage without a problem.

Maybe you should go for a higher overclock, seeing your temps reaching 95°C and watching your system getting throttled,sure wont take you longer than an hour to decide for a better cooling device.

Back