• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how far can i push the RAM voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Omari79

Registered
Mine is 1 x 2GB Kingston PC2-6400 (800Mhz) and the default voltage for it is 1.8v

is it safe to bump the voltage to 2.0v or 2.2v? or even 2.4v? as an estimation, at what point does the voltage increase starts damaging the RAM?

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
It's impossible to say what voltage is "safe" for your particular RAM, nor is it possible to give you an "estimation" as to what voltage will damage the RAM. The only given is the fact that the manufacturer tested the RAM for stability at 1.8V, and was therefore binned according to required voltage and timings. The manufacturer normally gives a max. voltage range, for example 1.9V for RAM that's spec'd to run at 1.8V using a given set of timings. Assuming SPD timings of 4-4-4-12 at 1.8V for HyperX as an example, instead of increasing the voltage past a "safe" 1.9V you might instead consider loosening the timings to 5-5-5-15, 5-4-4-15, 5-5-4-15, etc. Of course sub-timings and tRD (Performance Level) can also be loosened (higher numbers numerically) to compensate for higher DRAM frequencies when overclocking.

BeHappy

Are you having trouble getting it stable, or just want to push them further? More voltage doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to achieve higher clocks, or tighter timings.

fire2havoc

What's the manufacturer kit number? I had an old DDR2 800 Patriot Low Latency Kit that could go up to 2.2v. Most DDR2 800 kits are anywhere between 1.8-2.2v, but it depends on the specific set that you are using.