• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How far can I push this Athlon? Help a 'folder' out!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cursor

I just won this processor in the folding contest's week 6 and I want to push it pretty far. Anyone have experience with this thunderbird stepping? Who can tell me the lineage and how much of an overclock I can expect?

This is going to be a dedicated folding machine.

I've got a Thermaltake 6cu+, arctic silver, and a Matsonic ms8127c+266 on the way.

The Coolest

I don't really sure, this is one of the earlier steppings, but i think that about 1050-1100 will be achievable. the best thing you can do is get a 133FSB supporting mobo which also supports mulitpliers, unlock the chip and run it at 8x133 if its stable keep upping the FSB till you get to the cielling, I don't know HOW high it will hit. You can also unlock, and up the multi till you get to the highest stable speed, then back off alittle and start overclocking FSB. Just do it in a way you're at 133 or higher FSB

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Keep in mind that the old Athlons could be unlocked with a pencil. No need for anything expensive. Unlock that sucker and run it as high as you can.

OP
cursor

cursor

Yeah. I read up on that last night. I've not overclocked manually (out of bios) for quite some time--Most of the systems I've built for myself are Intels, and I've been able to overclock in the bios. This folding thing has me scrounging old parts & cheapest-of the cheap parts though. Looks like I'm going to be erasing pencil marks to try to overclock. Is there any way for me to bump up the fsb with the pencil trick? I've yet to boot up my board (matsonic MS8127C+), but I don't think it is BIOS mult/fsb tweakable.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
You may have to overclock using jumpers on the motherboard, if it has any. If it doesn't have any jumpers on the board and has no options in the BIOS, you may be stuck with using CPUFSB or a similar program to overclock through software.