• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how far with watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ib69nu

Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2002
Location
nebraska
this is what i plan on doing.
p4 1.8a
asus p4pe
xms 3200 c2

as opposed to air cooling how far do you think that i could overclock this setup. i have already a 1600+ watercooled, but i have a thermalright sk-7 (a very high end amd cooler) which doesnt fit on a p4. I wouldnot like to return the heatsink.

but back to the main question how many more mhz's would i be able to get out of a watercooled 1.8a compared to an air cooled 1.8a?

thanks
 

micamica1217

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
cack01 said:
Looks like a 100% O/C can be realistic when you have decent cooling. Looks like you will need to do the Voltage pin mod.

no way you gona get 3.6ghz with this chip.

water will help with temps.....yet water will only help lower temps, not get you a better OC.

I would say 2.8-2.9ghz max OC.

now do you want to use a great HS and a quiet fan, or water to get your temps lower....say if your room is hot.

mica
 
OP
ib69nu

ib69nu

Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2002
Location
nebraska
the only reason i would switch my w/c rig over is because i dont have a good p4 heatsink, but i do have a really good amd one. my waterblock is universal.
mica
so what you are saying is that i could get almost no more if i watercooled it. if that is the case then why bother?

thanks though
 

hc1001

Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2002
Location
NY
mica y do u think WC wont help to OC more than air? water will cool much better than air. this would suggest that u might be able to squeeze more out of the chip than with air....ill let u guys now cause im about to change from aplha 8942 to a WC setup.... i think it will let me OC more than air did....
 

micamica1217

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
cack01 said:


Sorry my fault, I thought he said 1.6a not 1.8a. Looking at the database, 2.8-3.0 is possible on water.

your not going to get 3.2ghz on a 1.6a, no way not with water.


mica y do u think WC wont help to OC more than air? water will cool much better than air. this would suggest that u might be able to squeeze more out of the chip than with air....ill let u guys now cause im about to change from aplha 8942 to a WC setup.... i think it will let me OC more than air did....

if temps are holding you back, then yes, you will get a little higher.

yet if you think you can do better with water, because it will help lower your voltage or maybe get a chip to go where it could never do to begin with then all I can say is "good luck".

mica
 

jdmcnudgent

Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2002
Location
tOLEDO, OHIO, the heart of it all!
micamica1217 said:


your not going to get 3.2ghz on a 1.6a, no way not with water.




if temps are holding you back, then yes, you will get a little higher.

yet if you think you can do better with water, because it will help lower your voltage or maybe get a chip to go where it could never do to begin with then all I can say is "good luck".

mica
3345 with a 1.6a aircooled. check it out. it is quite amazing.;)
3345wcpuid.gif
 

micamica1217

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
jdmcnudgent said:
3345 with a 1.6a aircooled. check it out. it is quite amazing.;)
3345wcpuid.gif

jd, I've seen this....yet we both know that this is a one in 10,000 chance. or more then likely no way I'm ever going to get this lucky.

about a month ago I helped someone get to 2.9ghz on 1.7v with a 1.6a.:eek:

yet if a chip wont hit that on air.....forget it on water.

lets face it jd, you have two great chips there......how much better did you get with water (that you could not do on air)????

did it help lower your voltage??????

mica
 

jdmcnudgent

Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2002
Location
tOLEDO, OHIO, the heart of it all!
micamica1217 said:


jd, I've seen this....yet we both know that this is a one in 10,000 chance. or more then likely no way I'm ever going to get this lucky.

about a month ago I helped someone get to 2.9ghz on 1.7v with a 1.6a.:eek:

yet if a chip wont hit that on air.....forget it on water.

lets face it jd, you have two great chips there......how much better did you get with water (that you could not do on air)????

did it help lower your voltage??????

mica
ur right, 1 in a million chance. my 1.6a is ok, but i wish it was a little better. i am throwing alot of voltage at it, but it can take it and i still have great temps. as far as better w/water, alot, my chip will never come close to throttling. my chip never hits over 22' celcius.:p piccy in a sec, gotta switch computers.:cool:
 

micamica1217

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
jdmcnudgent said:
ur right, 1 in a million chance. my 1.6a is ok, but i wish it was a little better. i am throwing alot of voltage at it, but it can take it and i still have great temps. as far as better w/water, alot, my chip will never come close to throttling. my chip never hits over 22' celcius.:p piccy in a sec, gotta switch computers.:cool:

I agree jd, my chip wont throttle also....

but my point is....if you cant reach an OC on air then you wont reach it on water.

the real point to water on the northies is low heat and longer life from it.

mica
 

cack01

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2002
Location
San diego or UC Davis
micamica1217 said:


I agree jd, my chip wont throttle also....

but my point is....if you cant reach an OC on air then you wont reach it on water.

the real point to water on the northies is low heat and longer life from it.

mica

Do you mean Maximum post O/C, or Max stable O/C.

If its stable O/C them I'm going to have to disagree on with your there mica. Water can definatly help you get a higher stable O/C.

As far as POST goes, you may be right to an extent. I say extent, b/c before I changed I water, the rig below would not even post at 1.2. Infact with water I can get it to post and run stable @ 1.2 with lower voltage then past lower O/C 's with air. But I may be an isolated case, and it may not even count since the thread is on Northwoods, and I'm talking about coppermines.
 

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Joined
Aug 5, 2002
Well with water cooling I got up to 2.7 stable for a little while at 1.775 volts. But decided to back it down without the water because I kept sprining leaks. So now its the Retail Heatsink thats been lapped to a mirror finish. Putting 1.675 volts into it if not mistaken and running at 2.58 Ghz with 3:4 mem ratios (2.6 volts on sticks at 2-6-3-3 settings).

I can go higher with it by putting more volts into it but it runs like it is right now im happy. Maybe if I get a new chip i'll just see how many volts this puppy can take.

My temp on CPU is about 108 F under full load and on the heatsink its about 92 F. The room temp is about 70 F. Can't remeber the C temps because im not at home right now.

This is a 1.6a CPU.
 

micamica1217

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
cack01 said:


Do you mean Maximum post O/C, or Max stable O/C.

If its stable O/C them I'm going to have to disagree on with your there mica. Water can definatly help you get a higher stable O/C.

As far as POST goes, you may be right to an extent. I say extent, b/c before I changed I water, the rig below would not even post at 1.2. Infact with water I can get it to post and run stable @ 1.2 with lower voltage then past lower O/C 's with air. But I may be an isolated case, and it may not even count since the thread is on Northwoods, and I'm talking about coppermines.

well I'm only talking about stable OCs with northies....

from what I've heared, and now experiance, there is no change in voltage, and no change in how high I can go with this chip.

there are two things holding me back from going faster.....

core voltage and my personal chip limits......I can run at this speed on air, yet my temps would be through the roof.

my room temps are 72F-74F right now....about 23C

mica