• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Go Back to 8.1 From 10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I have a MS Surface Pro 3 and recently decided to use it as a test platform for W10. The W10 install went without issue. I only use this machine when I am away from home so it is certainly a secondary machine. Nevertheless, I have been reading about the totally unacceptable and intolerable intrusions into my privacy and security that are part and parcel of W10 and, as a result, have not even turned the machine on in the past few weeks and will almost certainly not do so until I can get W10 off of it. I would much prefer to buy and install W7 but for reasons I do not know W7 will not work. As much as I find W8.1 difficult and annoying to use, even with the add on software to give it a W7 appearance, I want to start from scratch and load 8.1 back on the machine. How can I do this because the machine did not come with restore disks? Will the downloadable 8.1 images work if w10 is already on the machine?

W7 is a wonderful OS that works very well, is very stable, and uses a very well thought out and developed user interface. Simply put it is not broken. I understand why marketing reasons drive a continuous need to change and offer new and better products but in the case of W7 change has done nothing positive but, instead, has abandoned much of the outstanding design that is integral with W7.

Download a factory reset recovery image from https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...ervice-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage
You will need the serial number from the back of your Surface tablet.

One of the sites with clear illustrated instructions on how exactly to restore Windows 8 on your tablet is here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/208780/how-to-reload-windows-on-your-surface-pro-tablet/

Post if you've been able to restore your Surface back to Windows 8.

You are a perfect person to answer questions I always wanted to ask.
Since you can change Windows 8 user interface to be identical to Windows 7,
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/752525-How-do-you-install-classic-shell-in-Win-8-1
after doing that, what can Windows 7 do that Windows 8 cannot?

Or rather, what does Windows 8 do that annoys you, since by disabling the Windows 8 user interface which the majority of people (more than 50%) found horrific, you essentially solve the Windows 8 "problem". In other words, can you list the annoyance issues please, I believe all can be disabled and disabled quickly.

You will then be left with a Windows 7-looking device, using all the advantages of Windows 8 even if you don't need them, even if it's just a longer end-of-life OS date...

I have a MS Surface Pro 3 and recently decided to use it as a test platform for W10. The W10 install went without issue. I only use this machine when I am away from home so it is certainly a secondary machine. Nevertheless, I have been reading about the totally unacceptable and intolerable intrusions into my privacy and security that are part and parcel of W10 and, as a result, have not even turned the machine on in the past few weeks and will almost certainly not do so until I can get W10 off of it. I would much prefer to buy and install W7 but for reasons I do not know W7 will not work. As much as I find W8.1 difficult and annoying to use, even with the add on software to give it a W7 appearance, I want to start from scratch and load 8.1 back on the machine. How can I do this because the machine did not come with restore disks? Will the downloadable 8.1 images work if w10 is already on the machine?

W7 is a wonderful OS that works very well, is very stable, and uses a very well thought out and developed user interface. Simply put it is not broken. I understand why marketing reasons drive a continuous need to change and offer new and better products but in the case of W7 change has done nothing positive but, instead, has abandoned much of the outstanding design that is integral with W7.

There's no good reason for Windows 7 to fail on a P67. (going by your sig) I would clear the CMOS and wipe the drive pronto!

Back