• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How good are PNY cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

I have a PNY5900NU flashed to a 5950U... i love it. It can OC pretty good, but i got a crappy PSU so i can't get a stable OC over 475/1010.

DreamingWolf

Wheel Walker
Ever since I bought my first PNY (a G2) I have never looked anywhere else. I love them and they've never given me any problems in spite of my n00bish OCing techniques :p

DWolf:cool:

Westline

Pny Cards are piece of junk. Personally i would say don't waste your money. Go after either a MSI or BFG model.

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
BFG is probably the best, just because of their REAL lifetime warranty. PNY cards aren't junk...none of them are really junk since they are all built around the same reference design. Some makers add better cooling and such, but most would just add a Rev4 VGA Silencer - once they come out.

Westline

The cooling on them is below par and they don't allow for a good over clock. You maybe able to over clock them a little bit, but the cooling is defiantly not adequet. If your gonna spend that much money, why not go with the best rather than settle for less? Just my thought...

Vector

I just got a PNY from CompUSA--the last and only one they had--and I have to say that I'm impressed so far. It's at 415 core and 1080 memory and stable. The core seems stable up to ~427, but it's probably using 2ns ram, as I'm getting ram lockups in 3dmark03 at 1.1
Oh, and the cooling doesn't suck. It's the nvidia reference cooler that most of the other manufacturers use (I think Gainward is the only company that deviated from the reference cooler so far, but I could be wrong). Load temps don't go above about 78C OCed, which is pretty good considering the X800 pro that I just RMA'd was hitting about 83C at stock speeds. I am a firm believer now that the ATI reference cooler is crap, and if you get one of their cards and want to OC, be prepared to shell out some extra bucks for aftermarket cooling.

And btw, the core itself (and ram ratings of course) plays more of a factor in OCing than anything else. It's the luck of the draw. In other words, if you're core will only do say 380 max with stock cooling, you'll probably only get ~10MHz more from a much better cooler. The benefit of extra cooling comes into play if your core will do high clock speeds or you're planning a volt mod.
Anyway, just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever card you guys get.

Nandro

Disabled
PNY was great when I got my 6800 Ultra. I had heard they had poor customer support so I was rather suprised. I called there and the woman called me back and gave me a date when it would be in. She called again the day before it went out. Her boss also called me back once because I wanted to change it to overnight shipping. He took care of it right away, so if they had bad CS I didnt see it. Maybe their conscious of their reputation and are working to change it.

attitudx

Xtreme refugee
I heard the pny cards were good all in all If i am not mistaken though some were saying they were getting hot and the heatsink was not touching the GPU. SO a remount was on that. I might be wrong but remember reading about that somewhere

t12121

I have a pny 4400 I had to replace the GPU fan on it with a aftermarket one. It works great now I overclock it to 300/600 prob could go higher but that is good enough for now.

Carskick

Registered
I have had 2 PNY cards: An MX420, and an FX5600 U. I've had them for about 2.5 years and 10months respectively. I'm happy the FX5600 U works with my HP's crappy 250watt PSU. I can even overclock it from 400/800 to about 420/840, but with the weak PSU and poor case design from HP, I leave it at stock.

I've never had a problem with either of the cards, so I have no idea how their tech support is. I'd reccomend them, as they've provided me with good and reliable performance for years.

rsquires

Registered
PNY 6800GT here, running at 425/1100, well above ultra ratings. I'm quite happy thus far, and looking for improved cooling and voltmod options. Using a 430w Antec psu, btw.

rms