• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How good are the XPC's power supplys?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devilscow22

I have an SN85G4 and i want to run the following 3200+ A64, X800XT, 2 HDDs, CDRW, TV tunercard(or a sound card) and 1 gig of 2-2-2 special. Can this little 240W PSU handle all that i know quality is better than quanity in PSUs but how good are these little things??

radium

Shudder...

That is one really really small PSU. Not a good idea to be running all of that stuff on it. Apparently money is no problem with you, a sparkle 530 would suit that stuff fine.

dalilman52

radium said:
Shudder...

That is one really really small PSU. Not a good idea to be running all of that stuff on it. Apparently money is no problem with you, a sparkle 530 would suit that stuff fine.

umm...he has a shuttle xpc, a SFF case, so i doubt the 530 fortron would fit, itd take up at least half the case...heh

so i guess i would suggest getting the beefiest psu for the SFF at neweg if the one u have doesnt quite cut it

Shuzzy

i can almost assure you your current psu will not hold up against those parts. the x800xt has 300w psu requirement in itself. get yourself a good quality psu before you buy any of those othe parts. if you don't you run the risk of blowing the psu and prolly some other components along with it. your psu is a very very important investement.

i am also going to be getting an x800 and some ocz 3500eb, but before i do i will be dumping my current 500w psu and buying a fortron aurora 400w psu which will insure me stability and safety for my system.

do yourself a huge favor and get a good psu. :)

CrazyP

the shuttle psu will work fine. I have my 250W shuttle psu running a barton 2500+ @ 3200+, two 7200 rpm hardrives, 8X dvd burner, 9800 pro and a tv tuner card and I also have a gig of pc3200. I have had this shuttle for over a year now and have had absolutely no issues. the shuttle psu are very high quality psus, videocard guidlelines are more than likely based off a generic psu.

people who tell you it is insufficient are simply saying this because they have never had experience with the SFF from shuttle. anyione who owns one will tell you you have no worries

OP
devilscow22

devilscow22

CrazyP said:
the shuttle psu will work fine. I have my 250W shuttle psu running a barton 2500+ @ 3200+, two 7200 rpm hardrives, 8X dvd burner, 9800 pro and a tv tuner card and I also have a gig of pc3200. I have had this shuttle for over a year now and have had absolutely no issues. the shuttle psu are very high quality psus, videocard guidlelines are more than likely based off a generic psu.

people who tell you it is insufficient are simply saying this because they have never had experience with the SFF from shuttle. anyione who owns one will tell you you have no worries

Thanks for the reply, this is what i was looking for someone who actually has a shuttle not some1 suggesting a 530W fortron. I think i will try it without the second HDD and maby w/o the PCI card at first. if i can fix my problems with installing windows XP.

Vento1

I have an SB75 Shuttle 250 watt psu running a 2.8 presscot @ 3114 512mb ocz ddr433 ram sony dvd r/w 9600xt 7200rpm hd + 2 extra case fans this is about the limit for me because the presscot takes alot of power system is stable have had no stability problems.

Lord Thundar

You also have to remember that the shuttle mb is only chewing up between 1/4 and 1/2 the power of a normal board (if even that much) due to the fact that its similar to a microATX board.
Here's my shuttle experience:

Athlon64 3000+, 2 IDE drives, 2 SATA drives, cdrom, floppy, ATI 9700Pro
P4 2.8, 2 IDE drives, 2 SATA drives, cdrom, floppy, ATI 9700Pro

diggingforgold

I think most people are overly concerned with power supplies not packing enough punch. Take apart a typical brand name rig with similar specs. They run on practically nothing.

It's my opinion that all of your parts should work fine on that 240W with no problems. Good luck.