• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How good is this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

87dtna

I know an all in one unit won't be as good, but is this better than most air coolers?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233011

I'd like opinions whether I should go with this or a V8 cooler.

I'm not too worried about longevity, as long as it lasts atleast a year I'd be happy. It's cheap enough. But right now I have a Cooler Master GeminII and temps top out around 60c with my CPU as a quad at 3.8ghz. I wanted to try to hit 4.0 ghz, and I think whats holding me back is the heat because just idling it will be around mid to upper 40's with the GeminII because it requires 1.50 Vcore to be 100% stable. 3.9ghz is stable with 1.575 Vcore, but temps nearly reach 70c in 3 minutes with Prime95 going.

I'm not sure a V8 or that contraption will do much for you over the Gemini. The linked "system" won't even touch a quality air cooler. You may get a few degrees but nothing to call home about. I'd recommend a TRUE or Megahalems or even Noctua's recent offerings. Sunbeam Core Contact coolers are also decent from what I've seen.

TRUE: $55.95. Two dollars more than the one you linked to and will run circles around it (as well as the other two). I think it comes with AM2 brackets, but call or email Sidewinders before ordering to be sure.

I don't know for a fact that the V8 is better than the all-in-one, but I do know I'd not risk having liquid of any kind in my system without a good reason. That cooler is not a good reason, guaranteed.

Xigmatek S1283 for one of the best bang for the buck coolers..

I was looking at that one, but it doesn't have a solid copper block at the bottom which I don't like.

The True looks good, but where would I get the AM2 brackets for it? Also it doesn't even come with a fan for $56. So I'm looking at probably $80 by the time it's said and done for the true, and is it even better than the V8 which is only $50?

Loll this thing is ugly !

its alu + Copper .... Bad contraption !

Your better with a good Air as its been told !

Loll this thing is ugly !

its alu + Copper .... Bad contraption !

Your better with a good Air as its been told !

The heat block is copper, the fins are aluminum. When there's liquid involved it's a whole different ball game, you can't compare to an air only cooler. Do you know what 99% of car radiators are made out of? Yeah...aluminum because liquid dissapates heat through aluminum very fast.

I was looking at that one, but it doesn't have a solid copper block at the bottom which I don't like.

The True looks good, but where would I get the AM2 brackets for it? Also it doesn't even come with a fan for $56. So I'm looking at probably $80 by the time it's said and done for the true, and is it even better than the V8 which is only $50?
I dont care if it was made out of tin foil. The results speak for themselves.

The TRUE is arguably the best out there dude. We arent lying to you to add post count. :thup:

I dont care if it was made out of tin foil. The results speak for themselves.

The TRUE is arguably the best out there dude. We arent lying to you to add post count. :thup:

Should I repeat my earlier post?

The True looks good, but where would I get the AM2 brackets for it?

There's also a zillion people with super excellent results with the V8. I want to know if the True is better than the V8 because the cost is much less for the V8.

Jab-tech has the AM2 mount in stock for $6.95 and is selling 1 TRUE (original rev I believe) for $46.99. Add a couple of Yate Loon Medium fans at $3.60 each and you have a damn good cooling setup.

EDIT: One thing about those Yates though, is that they are closed corner fans and the wire clips won't work on them like they come. I just take my dremel and open the corners up by cutting out the plastic and make them open corner fans.

Jab-tech has the AM2 mount in stock for $6.95 and is selling 1 TRUE (original rev I believe) for $46.99. Add a couple of Yate Loon Medium fans at $3.60 each and you have a damn good cooling setup.

EDIT: One thing about those Yates though, is that they are closed corner fans and the wire clips won't work on them like they come. I just take my dremel and open the corners up by cutting out the plastic and make them open corner fans.

Thank you.
I do have a couple 120mm fans kicking around that flow that well with less db. Thats pretty much in my price range, $60 shipped I can handle that. Thanks again.

No problem man. That's a good deal on that heatsink too, since it also has the LGA775 and LGA1366 mounts included with it. For $60 you are basically set to use it on just about any modern system except LGA1156.

No problem man. That's a good deal on that heatsink too, since it also has the LGA775 and LGA1366 mounts included with it. For $60 you are basically set to use it on just about any modern system except LGA1156.

Haha funny part is I've been thinking about selling all my AMD stuff and going I5. LOL

Should I repeat my earlier post?

There's also a zillion people with super excellent results with the V8. I want to know if the True is better than the V8 because the cost is much less for the V8.
Sorry man. I was a little unclear. I was referring to the Xig which is a $35 HS that comes WITH a fan. The TRUE comment was reaffirming our stance that the TRUE is better! :thup:

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6293707&postcount=14

Above is a link, Im not sure of the source as, again, he rarely lists them... :(

Last edited:
The heat block is copper, the fins are aluminum. When there's liquid involved it's a whole different ball game, you can't compare to an air only cooler. Do you know what 99% of car radiators are made out of? Yeah...aluminum because liquid dissapates heat through aluminum very fast.

Just search the web for every Galvanic Corosion thread... Mix Matching metal isnt good in water cooling. Stay AIR cooled if you dont want to spend over 100$. There is a big price hole between the 2.

Sorry man. I was a little unclear. I was referring to the Xig which is a $35 HS that comes WITH a fan. The TRUE comment was reaffirming our stance that the TRUE is better! :thup:

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6293707&postcount=14

Above is a link, Im not sure of the source as, again, he rarely lists them... :(

Oh ok.

Quick question though, why or how is it called TRUE? It's a thermaltake ultra, so I kinda see where the T and the U come from, and even possibly the R, but where's the E? It's before the R in the word thermaltake :confused:

Yep, big difference between Themalright and Thermaltake heatsinks. Thermalright has some damn good engineering that goes into their heatsinks whereas Thermaltake is very hit or miss on performance (mostly miss, IMO).

Back